Mountain Project Logo

Yosemite Help!!

Original Post
George Hurst · · Raleigh, North Carolina · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Hey!

My name is George and I have been rock climbing and mountaineering for about three years and am planning on making my trip to Yosemite next summer after I graduate from high school... but don't really know where to start on planning this. The main two questions I have are: HOW THE HELL DO I FIND A CLIMBING PARTNER? (believe me I've been trying to find one); and I know that there is a camping limit so what are ways to be able to stay in or around Yosemite for a longer amount of time so I can get some serious climbing done?

Thanks homies!

Kevin Mcbride · · Canmore AB · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 505

Post in the partners forum, camp outside the park. Also valley grading is fucking great if you haven't already figured it out yet. 

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54

Who do you climb with now? Take them with. Otherwise show up in Camp 4 and ask around. Better to have a dedicated partner in advance though.

I have a van, so I always drive it outside the park at the El Portal entrance and park along side the road. Shouldn't be a problem, though I've never stayed there longer than a month or two.

George Hurst · · Raleigh, North Carolina · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Alrighty thanks and I have a climbing partner at my gym but work is in his way so he can’t make it out to Yosemite with me so I guess I’ll figure it out when I get there, ask around in camp 4, unless I find one until then

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0

Just show up at Camp 4. There's a partner board. It's one of the easiest places in the world to pick up a random partner. Be honest about your ability and experience.

There are ways to get around the camping limit. These do not get posted online. You'll figure it out when you're there.

Also, "summer" is a terrible time to be in the Valley. You'll likely want to head up to Toulumne. Early summer may be doable, but I'm guessing you graduate in mid-June, which is just ungodly hot in the Valley.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
ClimbingOn wrote:

Also, "summer" is a terrible time to be in the Valley. You'll likely want to head up to Toulumne. Early summer may be doable, but I'm guessing you graduate in mid-June, which is just ungodly hot in the Valley.

+1

Don't go to the Valley in the summer. It pretty much sucks.

Chad Namolik · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 2,905

People always looking for partners here too. 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1248704391924791

& if you find yourself in the Valley on a scorching hot day, float/tube/swimm the Merced River. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Yosemite Help!!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started