Mountain Project Logo

Petzl Rad line 6.0

Original Post
Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I'm wanting to go ultralight and fast on Baker and possibly Rainier with my buddy this coming summer. Looking at full dry lighter ropes petzl has what they call their Rad line. Its 6mm and says its intended purpose is glacier travel, crevasse rescue and rappel.... Its uber expensive but I'm no stranger to paying more in order to get ultralight... Does anyone have any input on this rope? Can we substitute a rando rope for this line? I love saving pounds here and there and being able to move faster with less energy expended. 

Porter M · · Bellingham, Wa · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 15

You need to decide if the saved weight is worth the increased cost to you (vs something like the skimmer pro 7.1) I've used both ropes and have been blown away with the weight and  size of the rad line. To me the skimmer feels like a super skinny rope and the rad line is like glorified cord (but supple and easy to handle/untangle). Rad is weird to rappel on because it is tiny and slick. They recommend using a Munter hitch to rappel but I used 2 lockers with a reverso and the friction was adequate, would be scary without a prusik back up. Durability on the rad is much worse than any other rope, no surprise there. However, if you're not rappelling on it on rock and don't have a newbie with super sharp crampons that shouldn't be much of an issue for Glacier travel. Remember it is static too. Good luck in your decision!

Porter M wrote:

You need to decide if the saved weight is worth the increased cost to you (vs something like the skimmer pro 7.1) I've used both ropes and have been blown away with the weight and  size of the rad line. To me the skimmer feels like a super skinny rope and the rad line is like glorified cord (but supple and easy to handle/untangle). Rad is weird to rappel on because it is tiny and slick. They recommend using a Munter hitch to rappel but I used 2 lockers with a reverso and the friction was adequate, would be scary without a prusik back up. Durability on the rad is much worse than any other rope, no surprise there. However, if you're not rappelling on it on rock and don't have a newbie with super sharp crampons that shouldn't be much of an issue for Glacier travel. Remember it is static too. Good luck in your decision!

Bham huh? My home! Grew up there and left a few years ago.  Miss the hell outta that place but had to see what else is out here. Thinkin about going with a Black diamond 7.8 full dry. They have a 30m glacier rope but thinkin about taking a 60m or cutting a longer one down to about 45m. Glad to hear input from someone with real experience on the Rad line. I figured itd feel a lot like cordelet. I dunno if my mammut Rescyou would hold 6mm line either. Probably go with the actual rope. 

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Armchair Asshole · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 220

Idk if you've made up your mind, but here's a few of my thoughts about the RAD line:

1) I've used it primarily for extra security on steep snow and for rappels; I have not had the chance to use it in a glacier scenario. I usually double the 60m and lead from there. I don't know that I'd ever want to fall while tied into it.

2) The sheath isn't attached to the core, making it a bit more dynamic and stretchy than a straight up 6mm cordalette. On this note, I would be concerned about using it a lot on rock, and I am very careful about how I load it over edges, in corners and anywhere I encounter overly loose rock.

3) Elderid has a MiniJul belay device that is made to be used with ropes of that diameter. I used an ATC with it once, and it was quite puckering. The MiniJul is worth investing in if you end up buying the RAD line.

4) Works great as a lightweight tag line.

5) For ski mountaineering/mountaineering, it lives in the bottom of my pack. It's so light that it's been worth its weight in gold in my personal experiences. Works perfectly when bringing a half rope would be overkill.

6) 60m ends up being a lot of extra rope sometimes. For what it's worth, ive considered cutting it down to a 40m length to make it more manageable; I rarely find that I'm making 30m rappels in the situations that the rope makes its way into my pack.

Hope this helps your decision making process!

I appreciate your input a ton!

Caleb Nosak · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

What about the Black Diamond 6 static? much much cheaper, would it accomplish the same goal as the RAD?

mpech · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2

esprit 6mm alpine personal escape rope. Hands-down the best 6mm rope i've ever used. Key feature is that is super stiff, which makes it tangle less and rappel nicely. 

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 661

If you want to go ultralight, buy a light rope. If you want to move fast, get stronger.

Nick Sweeney wrote: If you want to go ultralight, buy a light rope. If you want to move fast, get stronger.

I guess gods walk amongst us

mpech wrote: esprit 6mm alpine personal escape rope. Hands-down the best 6mm rope i've ever used. Key feature is that is super stiff, which makes it tangle less and rappel nicely. 

But.. Would it work with the micro traxion and tibloc like the Rad 6.0 will? Thats the only advantage to the Petzl I can see because Im wanting to get into glacier stuff and petals crevasse kit is super super simple. But for $250 more id rather get better at tying knots.

Briggs Lazalde wrote:

I'm wanting to go ultralight and fast on Baker and possibly Rainier with my buddy this coming summer. Looking at full dry lighter ropes petzl has what they call their Rad line. Its 6mm and says its intended purpose is glacier travel, crevasse rescue and rappel.... Its uber expensive but I'm no stranger to paying more in order to get ultralight... Does anyone have any input on this rope? Can we substitute a rando rope for this line? I love saving pounds here and there and being able to move faster with less energy expended. 

I just got one, mainly Petzls because its compatible with their hardware 

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Armchair Asshole · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 220

Edelweiss makes a rando 8.1 mm line that may work for you as well. It comes pre-cut in a 30m length.

mpech · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
Caleb Nosak wrote:

But.. Would it work with the micro traxion and tibloc like the Rad 6.0 will? Thats the only advantage to the Petzl I can see because Im wanting to get into glacier stuff and petals crevasse kit is super super simple. But for $250 more id rather get better at tying knots.

it looks like it works with a microtraxion. haven't tested with a tibloc. 

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 661
Briggs Lazalde wrote:

I guess gods walk amongst us

Haha! Alright, fair enough.  I promise I wasn't trying to be a douche.  

I see so many people on mountain project trying to buy the sleekest, lightest, and most expensive gear thinking that it will make them "light and fast" to the delight of marketing departments throughout the outdoor industry.  I've certainly done this, and of course agree that you should be using the lightest gear available that suits your needs.   However, in my experience, lighter gear only makes you marginally faster.  Where you'll see big leaps in your speed in the mountains is through increasing your fitness and skills.  I've been following Training for the New Alpinism faithfully and have seen great results.  

The point is: make sure you're putting the hours in to become a trained athlete, in addition to buying this sexy ass skinny rope.  If you do both, you will haul ass on Baker.
Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39
Kyle Tarry wrote:

Spending money on gear is way easier than putting in hundreds/thousands of hours of training.

Does that Rad line come in a 3mm version? Asking for a friend. 
Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 242

OP, just buy a Beal Rando 8 mm rope.  It will set you back $100 instead of $250, is only 450g heavier in a 30m length, will work with nearly all brands of rope clamps and friction hitches, and is rated as a twin rope so you can fold it in half and lead on it.  The Rad line is cool but it's a highly specialized product with some very specific limitations and use cases.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Petzl Rad line 6.0"