Mountain Project Logo

Grade is required when rating a route

Original Post
khoa · · Tacomarado · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 50

On the route rating screen, stars seem to be optional while the "rock" and "safety" rating seem to default to whatever the consensus already is. Pretty annoying, having to "undo" this by selecting "N/A" for safety. But the grade/"rock rating" seems to be required and there's no way to NOT choose a grade. 

If i tick something on the app, I have to go back on the desktop site to delete a grade I never wanted to submit in the first place

plzfixkthx

Howard · · Costa Mesa, CA · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 2,127

I think I ran into that.  Would be nice to change, agreed.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 83

Agreed, very annoying. I guess everything will be rated 3rd class from now on. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Lol.  I just stick to the consensus grade if I don’t have a strong opinion on it, but this obviously still skews the data.  I agree that it should not be required.

rocknice2 · · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,028

I think it should be kept as is. This will drive a more accurate consensus. More votes = better consensus.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Hmm that’s a fair point.  My only concern would be preserving local/historical grades.  I usually try not to recommend grades when I’m on vacation unless I get enough climbs in to get a sense of the local standards.   Nothing would be worse than someone coming to Devil’s Lake or the Gunks and rating the 5.6s and 5.7s what they would actually be. :)

Nolan Huther · · Clarkson University · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 567
Ted Pinson wrote:

Hmm that’s a fair point.  My only concern would be preserving local/historical grades.  I usually try not to recommend grades when I’m on vacation unless I get enough climbs in to get a sense of the local standards.   Nothing would be worse than someone coming to Devil’s Lake or the Gunks and rating the 5.6s and 5.7s what they would actually be. :)

Yeah calling Gunks jug hauls with feet everywhere 5.6 is messed up. Most of them should be 5.4-5. 

Just kidding of course. My real beef is with the fact that the Android version, at least, has no ability to rate climbs at moderate grades with the -/+ (no 7+, 8-, etc). Sad to see all those 9+s being downgraded to 5.10a, but can't do anything about it on my app!

khoa · · Tacomarado · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 50

Thanks for listening and adding this in!! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Grade is required when rating a route"
in the iPhone & Android App Feedback