Mountain Project Logo

Grade is required when rating a route

Original Post
khoa · · Tacomarado · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 50

plzfixkthx

Howard · · Costa Mesa, CA · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 2,167

I think I ran into that.  Would be nice to change, agreed.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 83

Agreed, very annoying. I guess everything will be rated 3rd class from now on. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Lol.  I just stick to the consensus grade if I don’t have a strong opinion on it, but this obviously still skews the data.  I agree that it should not be required.

rocknice2 · · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,043

I think it should be kept as is. This will drive a more accurate consensus. More votes = better consensus.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Hmm that’s a fair point.  My only concern would be preserving local/historical grades.  I usually try not to recommend grades when I’m on vacation unless I get enough climbs in to get a sense of the local standards.   Nothing would be worse than someone coming to Devil’s Lake or the Gunks and rating the 5.6s and 5.7s what they would actually be. :)

Upstate Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 422
Ted Pinson wrote:

Hmm that’s a fair point.  My only concern would be preserving local/historical grades.  I usually try not to recommend grades when I’m on vacation unless I get enough climbs in to get a sense of the local standards.   Nothing would be worse than someone coming to Devil’s Lake or the Gunks and rating the 5.6s and 5.7s what they would actually be. :)

Yeah calling Gunks jug hauls with feet everywhere 5.6 is messed up. Most of them should be 5.4-5. 

Just kidding of course. My real beef is with the fact that the Android version, at least, has no ability to rate climbs at moderate grades with the -/+ (no 7+, 8-, etc). Sad to see all those 9+s being downgraded to 5.10a, but can't do anything about it on my app!

khoa · · Tacomarado · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 50

Thanks for listening and adding this in!! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Grade is required when rating a route"
in the iPhone & Android App Feedback