Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Considering moving to Sheridan

Original Post
mac gilbert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2011 · Points: 110

Considering moving to Sheridan and am trying to find out information since I know very little about the area. I am welcome to all thoughts and information. My specific questions are:

What is the climbinglike: 

what’s the season length like for rock?

How close is climbing to Sheridan itself, both the drive and hike in in general. Is climbing  after work in the summer a possibility?

Are there any climbing gyms? I didn’t see any online. 

Climbing scene and community?

What is the skiing/boarding like? Saw the resort located about 80 miles away and I’m assuming there is closer backcountry skiing? 

Thanks!

Skibo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

All I know.  Trevor lived in Sheridan while developing the routes and guidebook.  https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Climbs-Eastern-Big-Horns/dp/0692705678

William Rhyne · · Casper, Wyoming · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 135

Sheridan is nice, you'll have enough to keep you busy. 

406MT Bower · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

The Bighorn Climbing Coalition just hosted Reel Rock 12 at a local brewery last weekend.  The climbing community seems to be pretty involved and active.  We drove down from Billings and were pretty impressed.  It's a smaller town, but still a nice place.  

The best thing to do if you're unsure is to take a trip there before committing...

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,113

There is a long climbing season in Sheridan.  Call it March to November.  You can get the odd winter day in at a few crags (Tongue River Canyon, Steamboat).

Climbing is about a half hour from work in Sheridan to hitting the approach trail to either Piney or Tongue. 

Uncrowded, tons of potential, good climbing, currently has a stoked friendly community. No gym.

Skiing can be had, but it generally not spectacular. Very small backcountry community.

You'll likely have better luck finding partners on the Eastern Bighorn Climbers Facebook page than here, fwiw.

It's a nice place. The climbing is the one thing I miss about living there.

Thanks for the information. We are planning a trip to visits and check out Sheridan. Its just nice to know some basics about the climbing there to deem the trip worthwhile.

mike gibson · · Rapid City, SD · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 0

What is the climbinglike:

>>>Lots of fabulous climbing that would require at least a day trip, but mediocre stuff close to sheridan.  The good stuff will all require some driving (e.g. Devils Tower, Fremont Canyon, Tensleep, Wind Rivers, Tetons, Voo, etc)

What’s the season length like for rock?

>>>Varies widely from year to year but January, Febuary, and March are mostly not.

How close is climbing to Sheridan itself, both the drive and hike in in general. Is climbing  after work in the summer a possibility?

>>>The closest is tongue river canyon, at roughly 1.5 hours drive + hike to start of climb.

Are there any climbing gyms? I didn’t see any online.

>>>No.

Climbing scene and community?

>>>Sheridan is a small and conservative town that still has much of the old frontier mentality.  No traffic jams, but no big city amenities either.

What is the skiing/boarding like? Saw the resort located about 80 miles away and I’m assuming there is closer backcountry skiing?

>>>The bighorns used to have two ski resorts, but the last that I heard they are both closed, but I could be wrong.  Red lodge in montana is probably the closest ski resort.   I tried a bit of backcountry skiing in the bighorns and never found anything worth the effort. The snow conditions are very unpredictable and nothing like you would get in the cascades.

When you go visit, take about a couple hours to drive up into the bighorns thru Ranchester and Dayton to Burgess Junction ( Must do ).   If you have plenty of time make a loop thru Shell/Greybull and up to Lovell and back,  Stop at shell falls and Bighorn Canyon (Bighorn River).  You could also take a look at tongue river canyon on the way, but the road can get pretty rough and you wont want to risk a rental car on it.

Powder River Pizza in Sheridan has fabulous pizza and beer.

Anyone know if there is any ice climbinging in the area? 

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,113

Closest reliable ice is about an hour and half away in Shell Canyon (Post Creek).  Cody is about 3 hours away.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Considering moving to Sheridan"
in the Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas