Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Joshua Tree New Years Crowds?

Original Post
kipp.fo · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 85

I've never been in the vicinity of the park or camped in the park for New Years. Does anyone have info on the crowds? 

I have dealt with and understand the issues with getting camping on weekends during the high season. What about securing camping in the park sometime midweek between Christmas and New Years? Is this week crowded like a weekend/holiday or is it typical mellow Jtree midweek camping? 

What about New Years in the park/surrounding towns? Crazy entrance lines? Or do people generally have other plans for New Years than cold times in the desert? 

Looking for help from people who have direct experience in the park/camping from previous years around New Years. Cheers 

Señor Arroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10
kipp.fo wrote:

I've never been in the vicinity of the park or camped in the park for New Years. Does anyone have info on the crowds? 

I have dealt with and understand the issues with getting camping on weekends. What about securing camping in the park sometime midweek between Christmas and New Years? Is this week crowded like a weekend/holiday or is it typical mellow Jtree midweek camping? 

What about New Years in the park/surrounding towns? Crazy entrance lines? Or do people generally have other plans for New Years than cold times in the desert? 

Looking for help from people who have direct experience in the park/camping from previous years around New Years. Cheers 

Treat it like you would this next holiday weekend. It's a very desireable NYE camp out.

Also, I'm sure you know, it can be very cold there in January. We got some snow the weekend after NYE last year. 

kipp.fo · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 85
AndrewArroz wrote:

Treat it like you would this next holiday weekend. It's a very desireable NYE camp out.

Also, I'm sure you know, it can be very cold there in January. We got some snow the weekend after NYE last year. 

Thanks Andrew. What about the week between Christmas and New Years? For example, would you say the park is full Christmas-New Years (Mon 25th-Mon 1st), or does most of the crowd show up on Thurs/Friday like most holiday weekends? 

brian burke · · santa monica, ca · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 120

been there on several new years and found it to be about the same amount of crowd of any normal weekend.  plenty of routes for everyone out there!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
kipp.fo wrote:

Thanks Andrew. What about the week between Christmas and New Years? For example, would you say the park is full Christmas-New Years (Mon 25th-Mon 1st), or does most of the crowd show up on Thurs/Friday like most holiday weekends? 

I would expect the park to be packed that week. 

Carey De Luca · · Yucca Valley, Ca · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 10

For the last week or more the "campgrounds full" signs have been up.  The park is a mad house from now until at least March.  As long as you have time and patience, you can drive around to all the campgrounds and check.  There are no slow days in JTNP anymore.

Señor Arroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10
kipp.fo wrote:

I suspect if you went out on Xmas DAY you could get a site. But it's going to be super in-demand as always. To be clear, I'm talking about camping crowds. J-tree is a very big place with lots of rock. You can always walk a bit and get away from climbing crowds. 

clint helander · · anchorage, alaska · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 611

I've done five out of the last seven christmas/new years in J-Tree. It's always been difficult to get a campsite in Hidden Valley during those times, but it's been especially difficult the last few. You pretty much have to get there a few days before christmas or there's almost no chance. Everyone is always asking if/when people are leaving so they can save their site for friends. Last year there were a bunch of sites that had signs that said "no, we aren't leaving before new years" because every morning there was a procession of people circling the loop waiting for people to leave.

That being said, if you're willing to stay at Ryan or other sites, you will have better luck. You might get lucky at Hidden Valley, but I'd be very surprised. Most sites had the two car limit, so sharing a site wasn't even an option. It's worth a shot, but I'd have a back up plan.

You could post here about sharing a site with someone and get lucky.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Joshua Tree New Years Crowds? "
in the Southern California