Mountain Project Logo

Everyone, Meet Ed!

Original Post
Sam Feuerborn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 810

Ed and his partner like to climb cracks after down pours in the Creek. They don't mind brushing off the fact that the ground is soaked and they're damaging anchors and cracks because "it's just Generic Crack." On Saturday morning I approached 40+ people in the Supercrack/ Donnolly Areas and let them know that climbing on wet rock wasn't good for the cracks as it wears on them faster with sandstone being dramatically weaker when wet, as well as speeding up the decomposition of anchor placements and that there are some pretty spectacular hikes and other rest day activities to engage in rather than climbing. Ed and his partners were one of a small number that chose to rack up and climb after engaging in this dialogue. 

Just a PSA.

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,475

This is why we can't have nice cracks.

Big B · · Sin City, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Hi Ed.

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

I was at the creek this weekend and indeed the donnelly lot was full. Most people fortunately did not climb in the morning and we were hiking around or hanging at camp.

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 85

Nice rack.

You can see how wet the rock is in these pictures. What did they think of you taking pictures?

Keith W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 80
Fehim Hasecic wrote:

Nice rack.

So Shiny!

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35

Ed's a dick.

What greg asked: did they just laugh at you as you took pics?

R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 140

I'l throw in a big shout out to Jenny,Vincent and Maryanne! The Road Trip Princesses. They wrote all over the boulders at Big Bend. Took me a while to wash that shit off and you can still totally see it. I used all the water I brought to drink to clean that shit off. If you run into them in South East Utah or Else where punch em in the face for me!

R. Moran wrote:

I'l throw in a big shout out to Jenny,Vincent and Maryanne! The Road Trip Princesses. They wrote all over the boulders at Big Bend. Took me a while to wash that shit off and you can still totally see it. I used all the water I brought to drink to clean that shit off. If you run into them in South East Utah or Else where punch em in the face for me!

More details?

kck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 85

I don't approve of public shaming or climbing on soft sandstone after rain.

kck wrote:

I don't approve of public shaming 

As you post to shame other people on MP, ironic. (edit: ironic should = hypocritical as pointed out by the grammar lords)

R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 140

Me washing off Road Trip Princesses in sidewalk chalk written across the Flat Top Boulder.. next to this the names Jenny, Vince, and Maryanne. Directly above this on the Chaos Boulder "I Love Jenny" with a Heart .  All of it in a large font spanning several feet . Hi vis shit 

Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 564

I recently had really good luck using a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol to remove chalk graffiti.

kck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 85
grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

As you post to shame other people on MP, ironic. 

To disagree with someone on the internet is hardly "shaming" them.

beensandbagged · · R.I. · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 10

Ed's an idiot

DRusso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 380

You should stake them out in the parking lot next time. Get a picture of his license plate, look up who it’s registered to,what the address is,take this public shaming to the next level...

Big B · · Sin City, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0
DRusso wrote:

You should stake them out in the parking lot next time. Get a picture of his license plate, look up who it’s registered to,what the address is,take this public shaming to the next level...

paging ....burchyy

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 205
grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

As you post to shame other people on MP, ironic. 

Your grasp of the term "ironic" is about as solid as that of Alanis Morissette.

Pnelson wrote:

Your grasp of the term "ironic" is about as solid as that of Alanis Morissette.

Okay, hypocritical. I don't know who that is and frankly I don't care. The point is that some douches were climbing on wet crack. And his rack is completely wrong for that climb. He is an idiot. 

John Barritt · · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,053
Mark E Dixon wrote:

I recently had really good luck using a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol to remove chalk graffiti.

How long after sandstone is soaked with alcohol do you have to wait to climb it....... Asking for a friend......... ;)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Everyone, Meet Ed!"
in the Southern Utah Deserts