Mountain Project Logo

Kid-friendly area in SLO?

Original Post
Andrew Seymour · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

I'll be visiting family in SLO over Thanksgiving and want to take my baby nephew out for his first day on real rock. He's not quite 2, so won't be doing much actual climbing. Just something to set a TR on so he can play. His dad will be there but isn't a climber so ideally something I can access from above to set a TR (bolts or trad anchor are OK). I'd like to stay out of the way of actual climbing. I'd appreciate any recommendations. Also I take kids climbing all the time at Donner so I know how to handle that part. Just need advice on where to go.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Andrew,

The "real" climbing is where the anchor bolts are,  so you would have to be OK occupying a route that other climbers may want to use. That said, you could go to Cracked Wall at Bishop Peak, or better yet, the Rockland formation at Cabrillo Peaks. Cracked Wall has some loose rock at the top, so don helmets.

Cabrillo Peaks is next to Los Osos and is about a twenty minute drive from SLO. Easy access to the anchors. This is probably a better option for you.

M. Morley · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 6,585
Andrew Seymour · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Cabrillo looks perfect, thanks.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Kid-friendly area in SLO?"
in the Southern California