Mountain Project Logo

FOTH editions


Original Post
Forrest Carver · · Edgecomb, ME · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 85

I'm tired of checking this book out at the library and want to own a copy. Is it worth shelling out an extra $10 for the "current" edition?

Have things changed enough in 20 years to warrant avoiding the 6th edition? ($5 shipped, could get one for each toilet!)

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Forrest Carver wrote:

I'm tired of checking this book out at the library and want to own a copy. Is it worth shelling out an extra $10 for the "current" edition?

Have things changed enough in 20 years to warrant avoiding the 6th edition? ($5 shipped, could get one for each toilet!)

Ten dollars makes that much difference for you?

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 354

Just get the old one imo... it's more a general reference book anyways, if you want in-depth info on something specific look online.

Forrest Carver · · Edgecomb, ME · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 85
FrankPS wrote:

Ten dollars makes that much difference for you?

yes

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 95
Forrest Carver · · Edgecomb, ME · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 85
nathanael wrote:

Just get the old one imo... it's more a general reference book anyways, if you want in-depth info on something specific look online.

Thanks, this is what I needed! 

It's just a book I'm going to read while pooping, don't need to splurge for extra tidbits

John Vanek · · Gardnerville, NV · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

There are some differences in the latest edition, as there have been in past editions. Most of the updates are referencing equipment that has been invented/updated since the last edition. I say buy the latest edition.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,795

Which edition(s) are you looking at, and at what price.  I have no use for mine (hint hint).

Forrest Carver · · Edgecomb, ME · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 85
Gunkiemike wrote:

Which edition(s) are you looking at, and at what price.  I have no use for mine (hint hint).

Thanks. I bought the 6th edition for $5.02 free shipping & am gonna die

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "FOTH editions"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion

Log In to Reply