Mountain Project Logo

Family friendly areas in Red Rock

Original Post
Mike Womack · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,658

Visiting family for thanksgiving and then spending a half day or so climbing at RR.  I'm wanting to find a place where there are single-pitch trad climbs 5.8 - 5.10+ but also have an OK landing spots at the base for kids to run around (not romper room) and a shorter hike (30min max.).  

Normally I head out to the canyons and do a longer climb, so I'm not too familiar on the cragging scene here.  

I know about: moderate mecca and yin yang area. Anywhere else worth mentioning?   Thanks in advance!!

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

Mike Womack wrote:

Visiting family for thanksgiving and then spending a half day or so climbing at RR.  I'm wanting to find a place where there are single-pitch trad climbs 5.8 - 5.10+ but also have an OK landing spots at the base for kids to run around (not romper room) and a shorter hike (30min max.).  

Normally I head out to the canyons and do a longer climb, so I'm not too familiar on the cragging scene here.  

I know about: moderate mecca and yin yang area. Anywhere else worth mentioning?

I wouldn't take lil kids to moderate but thats just me...you could go to the ragged edges area(willow springs) https://www.mountainproject.com/route/105732437/ragged-edges?method=dropdown&query=ragged%20edges&search=1&type=route

BigB wrote:

I wouldn't take lil kids to moderate but thats just me...you could go to the ragged edges area(willow springs)

Yeah, I took my daughter to moderate mecca but before she could walk.  You're right - probably not the best area though.  I'll check out ragged edges area. looks cool!

Cole Morgan · · Portland,Oregon · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0

I would check out Cannibal Crag in the Calico basin. Nice flat rock areas to run around on and about a 5-10 minute approach on pretty flat ground. It is pretty limited on 5.10's, but there's a few 5.8 and 5.9 routes that all feel a bit hard for the grade. There's also some pretty sweet arete climbs that clock in at 5.11- if your feeling strong. 

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105732024/cannibal-crag

Edit: You said trad not sport. I am a complete idiot. Cheers

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

What about the Winter Heat wall.  Climbs look cool.  Good spot?

sarcasm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2010 · Points: 490

Mike Womack wrote:

What about the Winter Heat wall.  Climbs look cool.  Good spot?

It is a good spot and the climbs are good but it's probably not a good spot for toddlers.  Steep final approach to the area with big rocks around and decent fall hazards.  I don't know.  I think the Ragged Edges, Peaches area is about as good as it can get in RR for little ones.  Maybe the Kraft boulders if you want to boulder.

Edit: Also the name Winter Heat Wall was sarcasm, it's shady.

Cool.  Thanks sarcasm.  It's nice to know an area isn't good for toddlers before dragging them out there.  I'll probably check out ragged edges

Rprops · · North Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 727

Sunnyside crag. Straight shooter. Brass  Wall  (topless twins & mushroom people)   Front of mescalito (disco, next century and splitting hares). And, the unsung classic, Flight Path Area. 41 minute approach on that one though 

Jason D. Martin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 710

BigB wrote:

Mike,

You could try this one as well..

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105732138/gnat-man-crag

Gnat Man is kinda sketchy for kids. But both Cowlick and Dickies are nice in that area...though maybe a little easy for what you're looking for.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Family friendly areas in Red Rock"
in the Nevada