Mountain Project Logo

Loop road closure, Thanksgiving day

Original Post
John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535

Hey folks, heads up for those planning to be in red rock for Thanksgiving- they've posted signs at the loop road that they will be closing the scenic loop at NOON on Thanksgiving Day. 

Edit: looks like if you make it in by noon, you can stay until 5pm. Thanks to Redrock Rat for the update. See his post for details. 

John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 5,260

BLM PRESS RELEASE: RED ROCK CANYON AND SLOAN CANYON NATIONAL CONSERVATION AREAS OPEN LIMITED HOURS ON THANKSGIVING

This is ridiculous. Bigger parking lots, higher fees (on the way), busiest time of the year, perfect weather. "...yeeeahhh, we're gonna have to close early that day... Sorry about that..."

The way the press release is worded, specifically mentioning the gate and the loop road separately makes me think that they'll be ticketing and kicking people out at noon. 

That could be a pretty tall order on what is typically one of their busiest days of the year. 

andy r · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 0

Do we think this closure will pertain to bicycles? 

andy r wrote:

Do we think this closure will pertain to bicycles? 

I would assume so. I would also assume that unless they post a ranger at the gate and the exit, this will probably be ignored by alot of cyclists. 

Bump for those who are traveling this week! 

Big B · · Sin City, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

wow just wow... smh

#occupythelooproadFtheblm

RedRock Rat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 145

Spoke with folks at the BLM office today (public relations and law enforcement) and just as a FYI if you are in the loop when the entrance gate/visitor center closes normal exit hours/late exit permit rules apply.  There isn't going to be some sort of mass sweep/kick out of folks.  Any questions this is who I initially spoke with Name: John Asselin Email: jasselin@blm.gov Phone: (702) 515-5046

l rs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 405

Entering today and asking was told all people must be out of the loop thanksgiving day by noon. 

Leslie McG wrote:

Entering today and asking was told all people must be out of the loop thanksgiving day by noon. 

I'm guessing the gate volunteers didn't get the finer detailed explanation that law enforcement won't sweep until 5p.

The sncc also confirmed with the BLM that if you're in the loop, you can stay until 5pm. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Loop road closure, Thanksgiving day"