Mountain Project Logo

A2 Pulley Strain in Thumb

Original Post
David Pagel · · Milwaukee · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 180

Was climbing two days ago and was pushing it on a harder than usual route. Got up to a pinch with a double lip on it and had to strain to get above it with both hands. Later that night I noticed my portion that’s is boxed in the photo was really sensitive. Iv never had and finger injuries and find that the smaller rectangle is sensitive to the touch now but I have the full range of motion without sensitivity. Just wanted to get someone’s opinion without jumping to conclusions about an injury. 

Also worth noting that the pain I feel is more of an ache/bruise feeing. I don’t know what a pulley injury usually feels like.

Tyke Nunez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

I did a long climb yesterday that was all pinches all the way up, and when I got down my right thumb was twingy. By this morning I had symptoms identical to those you describe David. I can't use my thumb for much today, although I have a pretty full range of motion, and not too much pain unless pressure is put on it. I'm glad to hear that your symptoms seemed to be dissipating relatively quickly. I also haven't had finger injuries, and from everything I could find, thumb injuries seem to be relatively uncommon. For that reason, I'm also unsure whether this is a pulley injury, but from the anatomy diagrams I could find, this seems like it would be about how I'd expect an A2 pulley strain in the thumb to feel. Anyone else have a more definite idea?  

David Pagel · · Milwaukee · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 180
Tyke Nunez wrote:

I did a long climb yesterday that was all pinches all the way up, and when I got down my right thumb was twingy. By this morning I had symptoms identical to those you describe David. I can't use my thumb for much today, although I have a pretty full range of motion, and not too much pain unless pressure is put on it. I'm glad to hear that your symptoms seemed to be dissipating relatively quickly. I also haven't had finger injuries, and from everything I could find, thumb injuries seem to be relatively uncommon. For that reason, I'm also unsure whether this is a pulley injury, but from the anatomy diagrams I could find, this seems like it would be about how I'd expect an A2 pulley strain in the thumb to feel. Anyone else have a more definite idea?  

Ice and rest and I haven’t had a problem since! I had surgery on the other arm so I haven’t done any climbing since that injury. But it definitely got better

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "A2 Pulley Strain in Thumb"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started