Mountain Project Logo

BD shoes?

Original Post
Chad Hiatt · · Bozeman, Mt · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 85

I'm a huge fan of BD cams (except ultralights), and I love the Vapor helmet.  I don't particularly like their carabiners, and their ropes don't seem to add much either.  Grivel and Petzl are head and shoulders above in the ice game.  Now BD is adding shoes?  Does anyone else feel like there is push for quantity over quality going on?  (Side note...I hope the shoes are amazing.  I just question adding new product lines when other need updated.). Thoughts?

Perry Norris · · Truckee · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 45

I share you interest. They look good; all leather uppers.

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 95

BD makes some great stuff and some so-so stuff, same as everyone.

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45

Did you know that BD doesn't make BD shoes? They are made by Butora.

Likewise, BD doesn't make BD ropes either. They are made by Roca.

Chad Hiatt · · Bozeman, Mt · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 85
Doug Hutchinson wrote:

BD makes some great stuff and some so-so stuff, same as everyone.

I looked around a bit, but I missed this. It was moderately interesting until it went philosophical around page 5.  

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5
Khoi wrote:

Did you know that BD doesn't make BD shoes? They are made by Butora.

Likewise, BD doesn't make BD ropes either. They are made by Roca.

BD is designing the shoes, but yes someone else is making them. But that's how just about every shoe is made. Roca only makes their wider ropes, 9.6 and up I think. Guess what Petzl doesn't make their own ropes either, nor does Metolius. BD may have capital overlords, but the company is full of dudes that love climbing, skiing, etc. 

I have the Momentum shoes. I think they retail for $89-$99 and are worth that amount. They are really comfortable. The rubber is very similar to Vibram Edge rubber. Good for edging and jamming, but not great for sticking tiny sloping nubs. They will get the job done for the beginner/gym climber that the price is aimed at and do just as well, if not better than most other entry level shoes. The last shape is very similar to LS Katana. 

ViperScale . · · McMurdo Station, AQ · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 240
Chiatt Hiatt wrote:

I'm a huge fan of BD cams (except ultralights), and I love the Vapor helmet.  I don't particularly like their carabiners, and their ropes don't seem to add much either.  Grivel and Petzl are head and shoulders above in the ice game.  Now BD is adding shoes?  Does anyone else feel like there is push for quantity over quality going on?  (Side note...I hope the shoes are amazing.  I just question adding new product lines when other need updated.). Thoughts?

Not ever seen any of their shoes but can't be any worst than soill shoes and crash pads...

cmqr9001 Black · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 135

The BD Aspect shoes look like a perfect Indian Creek shoe. There’s extra rubber around the toe rand for smear/jamming and the laces are protected by a cover so they don’t get torn up. Also the profile of the shoe is as thin as a Moccasym so they look pretty ideal for thin cracks as well. Really comfy too. I haven’t climbed in any, only tried a pair on. 

Jordan Palamos · · Eugene, OR · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 15

The rubber is very similar to Vibram Edge rubber. Good, but not great. 

I heard they were using the same rubber as Butora, which I personally dislike (I know people like that brand though).

As far as BD in general: they just make so much stuff nowadays its hard to know what is really great and what is so-so. Personally, I stay away from most for it except I really like their new line of skis and there's always a place for c4s on my rack.

Doug Chism · · Arlington VA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I tried a couple pair on at REI, they seemed decent enough, if uninspiring aesthetically. I dont think I could buy their cheaper synthetic ones but the laced suede ones I could be tempted to if the price dropped a bit. 

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45
Ryan Hamilton wrote:

BD is designing the shoes, but yes someone else is making them. But that's how just about every shoe is made. Roca only makes their wider ropes, 9.6 and up I think. Guess what Petzl doesn't make their own ropes either, nor does Metolius. BD may have capital overlords, but the company is full of dudes that love climbing, skiing, etc.  

I believe LaSportiva and Scarpa rock shoes are done in-house from conception to production.  

Are you sure about Roca only making BD's fatter ropes?  All info I've read on BD ropes state that they are all made by Roca.

And, yes, I am very aware of the many many many pieces of climbing gear that are made by companies different from the logo on said gear.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "BD shoes?"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion