Mountain Project Logo

Wrapping tools for dry tooling?

Original Post
rusty pitoune · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 765

What's the best way to wrap em, to keep em from getting completely beat up? 

rusty pitoune · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 765

I was thinking of something abrasion resistant as a base layer, and the normal warm sticky 3m over that.

divnamite · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 90

hockey tape? 3m for the entire tool shaft adds unnecessary weight.

James Donigan · · Brooklyn · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 15

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2010/09/something-better-out-there-more-similar.html

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-3-4-in-x-22-ft-Temflex-Splicing-Tape-Black-2155/202195401
from what i gather this is very similar if not identical to the wrap petzl uses. I've used with good results both installation and performance (grip, insulation, non water absorbing). 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-1-in-x-10-ft-x-0-065-in-2228-Rubber-Mastic-Electrical-Tape-Black-50727-BA-5/202195402?keyword=2228+mastic
another option. wider tape, a bit thicker wrap and tackier feel. other than that the performance attributes should be the same as 2155 tape

Mike Palasek · · Columbus, OH · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

+1 for Scotch 2228.

Joshua Dee · · San Diego, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 30

You said wrapping tools

Derek DeBruin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 585

Wrapping for hand insulation and/or grip makes sense. However, I think you'll find that wrapping for dry tooling will begin to rip through most tape jobs pretty easily if you're using any kind of counter-pressure techniques.

Idaho Ian · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 5

+2 Scotch 2228. like the blog says, one roll per tool. sticks to itself like glue, be ready for it. stuff is pretty damn durable because it kinda self-heals from damage  

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 100
Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 661

Scotch 2228 works great.  Make sure you wrap it tightly though, I didn't quite get one of mine wrapped right enough and the tape has bunched up in a couple of spots.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5
Doug Hutchinson wrote:

I wouldn't have thought of wrapping the grip. I'm still not sure that's a great idea since it makes it wider, but maybe the added tackiness makes the trade-off worthwhile. 

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 236

I have used 2228 in the past, but I actually removed it from my tools that I use for ice and mixed because it noticeably changed the weighting of the tool (that stuff is thick and heavy).  For a pure dry-tooling tool it would be fine.

I just use thick Scotch/3M electrical tape now, seems to work "good enough" without the downsides of the super thick stuff.

My tape jobs aren't really to protect the tool though, it's just to enhance grip on the shaft, insulate it, and allow for holding it in your mouth while matching/swapping.

Luc-514 · · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 9,245

Tooldip the whole tool!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Wrapping tools for dry tooling?"