Mountain Project Logo

WImping out in the cold

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Ah wonderwoman, bitter as ever. A bit ironic to call people out for language choice and to then throw all those insults the same post. 

Ebmudder - MP is a very open and accepting place. The community is proud to be a leader in equality. Climbing is something that truly anyone, regardless of race/gender can excel at and the community strives to be as open as possible. To include the word pussy in a post title will surely garner the wrong type of attention. People here jumping on this aren't entirely sure how to educate and assume that insults are the best way….You should interpret this as the community is simply trying to educate you that its not appreciated to use the word pussy in a post title. 

Sure you can do it, but its not appreciated. This is all some input from a guy who has taken a beating or two on MP...

ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 50
grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

Ah wonderwoman, bitter as ever. A bit ironic to call people out for language choice and to then throw all those insults the same post. 

Ebmudder - MP is a very open and accepting place. The community is proud to be a leader in equality. Climbing is something that truly anyone, regardless of race/gender can excel at and the community strives to be as open as possible. To include the word pussy in a post title will surely garner the wrong type of attention. People here jumping on this aren't entirely sure how to educate and assume that insults are the best way….You should interpret this as the community is simply trying to educate you that its not appreciated to use the word pussy in a post title. 

Sure you can do it, but its not appreciated. This is all some input from a guy who has taken a beating or two on MP...

I dig...the PC police have spoken

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,465
ebmudder wrote:

It's not the PC police.  It's the decency police.  I'm not trying to insult you.  I'm sure there are a lot of posters that would appreciate a change in the thread title.  This, of course, is up to you ultimately.

Rob T. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

It's not the PC police.  It's the decency police.  I'm not trying to insult you.  I'm sure there are a lot of posters that would appreciate a change in the thread title.  This, of course, is up to you ultimately.

+1 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
ebmudder wrote:

Oh, the horrors of being "politically correct". 

PC = being nice to people.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456
reboot wrote:

I find people who handle cold well usually can't handle a bit of heat or humidity, so I just turn the table on them when it's that time of the year.

This. I'm definitely one of the opposite breed. Places like RR and T-wall are empty on the summer so you can get on all the classic you want without waiting in line for even a second. Just don't skimp on water and you'll be golden. Might wanna get a silent partner, though, because finding a partner who can also handle the heat might be cruxy

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456
Marc801 C wrote:

Oh, the horrors of being "politically correct". 

PC = being nice to people.

Wrong. Decency = being nice to people.

PC = demanding that every single person you ever meet must behave in a way you deem acceptable otherwise you shame them excessively, which only creates more hate.

It's the (hopefully) non-violent social equivalent of killing terrorist leaders, which plants seed of hatred that eventually bloom into 10 more terrorists. 

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,465

Thanks eb.  It's appreciated.

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Hey amigos insulting people and jumping on them is not the way to educate. Were working to change a cultural mindset. Its going to take time and patience. 

Im happy to say that its working. After a few beatings I took, I can actually tell that the way I use words like 'pussy' has changed and I consciously think about it. But its going to be an uphill battle for a while. 

AndrewArroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

As a wimp I resent this title.

Lena chita · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 250

Thanks for changing the thread title.

In addition to things already mentioned, a lot of people forget that they should use multiple layers  not just on their upper body, but also on the lower half. I find that having an extra pair of pull-on fleece pants that i can pull up on TOP of the climbing pants and harness makes a huge difference. Easy to take them off for climbing, and then put them back on while belaying. I prefer this to having a base layer, for weather in the 30s-40s F. You get quite warm and toasty while climbing, so having a base layer under your regular pants is too much.

And I think a lot of people responding to this thread are not taking your location into account. I'll happily climb in the desert winter sun even if the temperatures are in the upper 20s. But Gunks have much higher humidity, and 40's can easily feel worse than the desert 30, especially if you aren't in full sun. But it isn't so cold that you should forgo climbing. Go for it next time!

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348
grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

Hey amigos insulting people and jumping on them is not the way to educate. Were working to change a cultural mindset. Its going to take time and patience. 

Im happy to say that its working. After a few beatings I took, I can actually tell that the way I use words like 'pussy' has changed and I consciously think about it. But its going to be an uphill battle for a while. 

The evolution of Grog! Very cool.

N Nelsen · · Thornton, NH · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 140

Having a dedicated pair of shoes that you can fit on with a comfy pair of wool socks goes a long way. The handwarmer in the chalkbag trick works nicely, but on super cold days I'll make a crack climbing tape glove that sandwiches a handwarmer to the back of my hand. This trick works insanely well. 

In the end being a New England climber means you do silly things like climbing rock in the winter, knocking down icicles as you go. 

wonderwoman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 84
ebmudder wrote:

I think you are mistaking PC for calling out asshole-ish behavior.  But whatever.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Nick Sweeney wrote:

Are you insinuating that being sarcastic is a male trait? Please change your post.

In all honesty, I think you’d have to have dicks for brains for posting a title like that in this forum and not get some responses as he has. 

However, I don’t think the OP was trying to be an asshole, just an oversight on his part. It doesn’t personally offend me, but I realize it does others, even I cringed when I first read the title figuring this would explode into another FlashFoxy-esque thread.

David Kerkeslager · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 55
Gunkiemike wrote:

OP - realize that the extremities lose circulation AKA get cold, when the body needs to keep the core warm. So it can make a nice difference re. hand warmth if you really bundle up the rest of the body. For some that means climbing with a heavier-than-you'd-expect puffy on. I saw a woman at the Gunks a week ago with THREE puffies on with temps in the high 40s. Now, some folks might overheat under that situation. Anyway, my trick is to heavily insulate my legs. It enables warm blood to make it all the way to my toes, of course, but it just keeps me toasty all over and I don't have much problem with my fingers. Nothing a few seconds against my neck can't take care of. 

This matches well with my experience. Keep the core warm and the fingers/toes will be fine. You want to be as warm as you can be without sweating. Climbing will push you over into sweating if you wear the same layers as you do when belaying, so bring a layer you can wear while belaying and take off while climbing.

Another thing to consider is that single pitch will be easier for staying warm. Dragging a coat up to a mid-route belay is logistically annoying. Also, the midpoints and tops of routes generally get more wind than the base, so you'll be a lot colder.

Also, winter camping has taught me that keeping your body's systems balanced is key to staying warm. Fat gives you the best calories for staying warm--if you're hungry you'll be cold. Water helps you digest properly--if you're dehydrated you'll be cold. Extra water in your bladder is more your body has to keep warm--if you have to pee and don't take care of that quickly you'll be cold. If you need to sleep your body slows down your metabolism, producing less heat--if you don't sleep properly you'll be cold.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
eli poss wrote:

PC = demanding that every single person you ever meet must behave in a way you deem acceptable otherwise you shame them excessively, which only creates more hate.

Wrong. You seem to have bought into the Fux 'news' view of PC. 

Here are some synonyms: unoffensive, nondiscriminatory, unbiased, neutral, appropriate, nonpartisan

Wikipedia has a reasonable definition and discusson:

The term political correctness (adjectivally: politically correct; commonly abbreviated to PC or P.C.) is used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society. Since the late 1980s, the term has come to refer to avoiding language or behavior that can be seen as excluding, marginalizing, or insulting groups of people considered disadvantaged or discriminated against, especially groups defined by sex or race. In public discourse and the media, it is generally used as a pejorative, implying that these policies are excessive

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Go ice climbing like a real man.

june m · · elmore ,vt · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 43

I have climbed  with  fingerless  gloves and handwarmers in them, up to 5.10(but not cracks)  Other cold weather options  besides skiing are  ice climbing  and  dry tooling. That way   you can wear  full gloves  ( not to say that ice  climbing is warm)

JonasMR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 8
Nick Goldsmith wrote:

Go ice climbing like a real man.

I thought that was the subliminal message from capitalizing the 'WI' in the new title...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply