Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

thanksgiving weekend near SF

Original Post
dholte · · South San Francisco, CA · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 501

Dear friends of the climbing community... I see rain and such coming on the radar, and I'm also pretty bad at knowing the effects of elevation. Here's the question: what looks like its going to be climbable around Nov. 25? Since my climbing partner and I are bad dirtbags, we can really only do  single day trips. I'd be willing to drive 3-4 hours max from downtown SF. 

Would something like Consumnes work for us? What elevation should I be good to stay mostly snow free, 4000 ft? How about Tollhouse area?

Actually, how about even the valley?

Brian Stewart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

I don't know what Auburn Quarry is looking like Rain-wise, but its definitely below the snow line and has some killer sport 

Oh that's a good point, I've never climbed any of the good stuff deeper in the canyon, just went once and climbed every chossy route at the front...

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,450

Too soon to tell. It depends on how much rain we get in the next 10 days.  Auburn gets really seepy if there is prolonged precipitation.  but if there's just a light rain it's fine in a day.  Sugarloaf is usually good with a sunny day or two after a storm.  Yosemite might be really good at the sunny crags like Arch. 

But you should probably wait and see what happens over the next week.

Jason Schleifer · · Fresno, CA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Tollhouse should be snow free.  Easy check for weather is Shaver Lake.  If there is snow at Shaver then you probably have snow at Tollhouse.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "thanksgiving weekend near SF"
in the Northern California