Mountain Project Logo

Trad Climbers Near Washington, DC!!!

Original Post
Seth Goldstein · · Washington, DC · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Hi Fellow Climbers and specifically, Trad Climbers, 

Anyone out there need a belay for an upcoming trip? Anyone need someone to clean their route? Anyone want someone who will cheer them on and shout cheesy motivational quotes from the deck?

Or perhaps you just want to geek out over trad? If you've answered yes to any of the above...read on. Read on even if you haven't :) 

I am new to Trad Climbing and am looking for people to follow! I am comfortable following up to a 5.9 and can lead a 5.3. I am down to go just about anywhere, and am looking for fellow trad climbers in the area to learn from! 

Let me know if you're in the same boat, or if you can help a noob get some much wanted experience. 

Cheers,

Seth

Shadrock · · Here and there. · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 268

Hey Seth,

I lived in DC for several years, often going solo or scrounging around for partners, before I realized that the overwhelming majority of really active climbers in the area weren't on MP. This may have changed, but I think you'll have a lot better luck hooking up with the Mountaineering Section of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (they also have a Meetup group). It seems that, out East, there's a long tradition of people getting together through clubs. Everybody I met from PATC (pronounced, yes, "Patsy") was pretty enthusiastic and, in general, they were a great group of folks. They often organize trips to Seneca, ice climbing in the Catskills, etc. I suggest you try and connect with them.

@shadrock 

Hey! Great Suggestion! thank you so much. I always forget about PATC. I've got enough of their guides and maps, you'd think I'd remember them :) 

Cheers! 

J.J. Bremberg · · Fairfax, VA · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Hey Seth,

I live in Annandale and definitely agree with what Shadrock recommended.  However, I am also always looking for new climbing partners! Shoot me a PM or a text (703) 407-8905.  I really like going to The New, but climb several days a week at Sportrock Alexandria.

Best,

J.J.

Michael Diep · · vienna, va · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Heading to buzzard rocks tomorrow. Any are welcome to join us. Leaving from northern Virginia. 

Spencer Perry · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 75

There is a decent sized contingent of tradsters at the ET Rockville gym. Make some friends up there and I am sure you will get introduced to a few people that are psyched on taking out newbies...

Hey Michael!!! Thanks for the invite, I'm headed to rocks tomorrow otherwise I'd join!! Never been to buzzard, but def wanna give it a go. 

Spencer, super glad to hear it...ill have to make my way over there soon. I usually climb at the ET crystal city 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Trad Climbers Near Washington, DC!!! "
in the Trad Climbing