We're hiring an experienced designer to join us in Boulder, CO.
Mountain Project Logo

Pet sitting around joshua tree

Original Post
grete · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Hey all! Looking to have your furry friend watched while you climb in the park? I just recently moved to joshua tree and am offering pet sitting services as I know it's tough to enjoy a national park with pets. I have a dog and a cat personally, as well as several years of vet tech experience. I rent a place in joshua tree near the park blvd entrance, and have a huge backyard for puppy roaming and play time. I can also take dogs for runs/walks! We can discuss rates as I know money can be tight. Hit me up if you might be interested 

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,265

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

susan peplow · · Joshua Tree · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,660

Hey Grete, let me lead with welcoming you to the area and sounds like a great enterprise. Your idea is bound to be more fun for the pup and would cost less than the $180 ticket.  If you haven't already, this might be the type of thing you run past your landlord.  Personally, I'd be like would be like ?!?^*!  driving past one of our rentals with a stack of dogs (or even a few) running about without prior knowledge.  

grete · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Good point! Was trying to gauge some interest honestly, and have not gotten a whole lot of bites, but oh well! Thanks for your feedback!

El Duderino · · SoCal · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,360

Interested in doggy sitting for tomorrow Tues 11/21. Her name is Mary :) sent you a PM

El Duderino · · SoCal · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,360

Grete -  doggy won’t be coming to JT today  after all. But I wanted to say how much I like your dog sitting operation idea. I really think you could get it going, I would suggest making a Facebook and Instagram page, Bumping  your thread on MP and put it up on ST. You could make a cool flyer and give it to the guys and gals at nomads, also contact the guide services.  This would be a wonderful thing to have around Joshua Tree, especially if affordable,  and also word-of-mouth spreads quickly through the climbing community. This would also really help the dog problem in Joshua tree, every time I talk to someone with their dog loose out there or not following national Park dog rules  I feel like a stick in the mud, they usually just reply that they were not aware of that, which is most likely BS

corpse · · jtree area · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 5

PM sent, please get back to me soon, my dog may need you :)

David Kerkeslager · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 68
grete wrote:

Good point! Was trying to gauge some interest honestly, and have not gotten a whole lot of bites, but oh well!

I would think that for a dogsitter, not getting a lot of bites is a good thing.

Sir Camsalot · · thankgodchickenhead, Ut · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 140

I saw at least 3 different parties WITH dogs at crowded climbing spots while in Jtree a couple weeks before Thanksgiving. I finally asked a party with 2 dogs near Hobbit Roof what the rules were and they stated that dogs are allowed anywhere in the park as long as they're not more than 100 feet from a trail.  

Greg Opland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 167

JTNP - Pet Regulations

• Pets must remain on a leash at all times. Leashes may be no longer than 6 feet (1.8 m).
  • Pets may go no more than 100 feet (30.5 m) from any road, picnic area, or campground.
  • Owners must pick up any droppings. Leave no trace.
  • Pets are not permitted on trails or in the backcountry.

Violators of these regulations are subject to fine.

Matt N · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 278

They're all "service" dogs now. 

First airplanes, now National Parks. 

It is amazing how many people are suffering from narcissism and need their narcissism support animal with them at all times. 

susan peplow · · Joshua Tree · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,660

JTNP produced a News Release earlier this month stating it will be requiring Permits for Service Dogs.  Sadly, the NR was released prematurely and may have some legal issues with the requirements posted and has such been rescinded.  

Just the same, watch for changes in regards to "service dogs" coming soon?  

John Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

Grete, I'll be in J tree the first few weeks of January and might hit you up for a few days of dog sitting.  Fortunately the weather is pretty moderate so he'll be able to hang out in my sprinter while I climb most of the time.  

Matt, just throwing this out there.  Many people who visit J Tree to climb usually travel a good distance to get there, and many people, myself included, live and work on the road.  It's not practical for me to leave my dog with a family member for weeks or months on end and having to drive a thousand miles just to pick him up because of one small reason.  There's always going to be climbers that abuse the rules and ruin it for the rest of us dog owners, but don't group all dog owners together.  It is what it is, and if I can get away with having my dog at the crag, I'll also take full advantage of it.  (Within legal limits of course)

Takashi 69 · · Los Angeles, Ca · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 40
Sir Camsalot wrote:

I saw at least 3 different parties WITH dogs at crowded climbing spots while in Jtree a couple weeks before Thanksgiving. I finally asked a party with 2 dogs near Hobbit Roof what the rules were and they stated that dogs are allowed anywhere in the park as long as they're not more than 100 feet from a trail.  

Is Hobbit Roof is within 100 feet of the campground (as would be many climbs around Hidden Valley)?

Señor Arroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10
susan peplow wrote:

JTNP produced a News Release earlier this month stating it will be requiring Permits for Service Dogs.  Sadly, the NR was released prematurely and may have some legal issues with the requirements posted and has such been rescinded.  

Just the same, watch for changes in regards to "service dogs" coming soon?  

This would be the new Trump Interior Department that isn't bothered by legal niceties like the ADA.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
AndrewArroz wrote:

This would be the new Trump Interior Department that isn't bothered by legal niceties like the ADA.

That would be more like, "it's about time someone cracked down on the rampant abuse of service dogs." The people that abuse it ruin it for those that really need a service dog.

Señor Arroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10
FrankPS wrote:

That would be more like, "it's about time someone cracked down on the rampant abuse of service dogs." The people that abuse it ruin it for those that really need a service dog.

I don't disagree about people who claim service animal just to be able to bring their pet places they otherwise couldn't. But the core issue is a fundamental one of medical privacy. The ADA protects people from being forced to declare their disability that leads to the use of their service animal. In some cases, like a seeing eye dog, it's obvious. But for other cases, say, a dog to predict and help with epileptic seizures, it's not going to be obvious. And the NPS doesn't have a legal right to ask people what their medical condition is. So that's not going to go very far. 

Sir Camsalot · · thankgodchickenhead, Ut · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 140
owen david wrote:

Is Hobbit Roof is within 100 feet of the campground (as would be many climbs around Hidden Valley)?

Not even close. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Pet sitting around joshua tree"
in the Southern California