Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Beta and questions for Cochomo, Frey, Torres del Paine, Patagonia region

Original Post
Robin S · · OR · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 31

I'm going to head to Patagonia in mid-late January. I'll be traveling solo and plan on bringing backpacking and some climbing gear with me. My current list of objectives includes Frey, perhaps Cochomo, and a solo trip on The Circuit. Does anyone have any other advice of where to I should go? I can lead up to 10a on gear, and I'm very comfortable on steep icy alpine terrain. 

I'll be in the region for an undefined amount of time (probably 2-3 months) and I know I'll end up finding more to do when I arrive, but I'm wondering what else I should plan ahead of time. I'm into trad, sport, and alpine climbing, as well as backpacking. In short, I'm open to anything. 

I'm planning on bringing personal climbing gear and maybe a light rack that I might sell if I get tired of carrying it. I haven't yet decided if I'll bring a rope. I know this will be more attractive to potential climbing partners but it also sucks to backpack with. 

If anyone has thoughts, ideas, or recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

R

Harry Netzer · · Roxbury, CT · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 135

You could definitely sell a rack and even a rope. There’s a store in bariloche, bolsa del deporte, that might buy stuff. 

Takes a long time to drive to TDP from bariloche. If you have the means, fly. It’s cool down there, puerto Natales is especially picturesque and strange.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Beta and questions for Cochomo, Frey, Torres de…"
in the International