Mountain Project Logo

Shortoff rap beta

Original Post
Ti ck · · souf yeast · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 1,760

anyone got beta on the rap in for "straight and narrow" and "just another Pretty face"  at shortoff in linville gorge?

what I am really asking, is, is there a separate rap in on the climbers right end of shortoff or is the decent gully next to the water pipe the best way in?

many thanks

Chuck Parks · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 2,190

I've never been down to look at Just Another Pretty Face, but my understanding is that it's quite a ways right of Straight and Narrow and Construction Job. Rapping in for Just Another Pretty Face makes sense. There's lots of good beta on how to do that in the route description on this site.

For Straight and Narrow, I'd just use the regular gully approach. Walking over from there isn't too bad.

Will Maness · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 115

I really don’t find the descent gully that bad...just adds to the adventure of climbing at Shortoff! And I can’t really see a situation in which the effort of setting up a rappel like that would be worth it.

Ti ck · · souf yeast · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 1,760

after getting half way down the "just another pretty face" rap in option we bailed and just went for the regular approach down the gully.  Does not make sense to me to use the "pretty face" option to get to the base of the cliff in any instance IMO, the hike over really isn't that bad and you waste a bunch of time doing a double rap.  Thanks for the input.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Shortoff rap beta"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.