Mountain Project Logo

Boots

Original Post
Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Anyone have recommendations for a boot for dragonstail in the enchantment? Specifically triple coulior route. I'm from an ultralight backpacking background and hate boots in general but realize I gotta get em to stay warm and fit crampons etc. Prefer heel and toe welt so I can use on technical ice as well and want light without sacrificing too much stiffness. Also not costing an arm and a leg would be great but ill do what I got to in order to increase chance of having the best experience.. Also will be taking to hyalite canyon so 1 boot to rule them all. Might end up getting an AT setup for Baker so could end up doing dragonstail in those but need a non-ski boot for hyalite. Also if you have a ton of free cash laying around please send

Skibo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

I haven't done Dragonstail, but it sounds like you want a fairly standard rigid/full shank mountaineering boot that will work for steep ice.  Scarpa and La Sportiva are the leaders, and fit differently.  You could go with the LS Nepal Evos, or the Scarpa Mont Blanc.  For strictly winter use and ice climbing, boots like the Scarpa Phantom and LS G series are well liked.  Lowa, Asolo, Zamberlan, etc. also make boots suitable for what you want.  I've seen some killer sales recently on the Scarpa Mont Blancs ($250 or so).  Buy based on fit--coming from runners they'll feel huge.

I should mention I have very narrow feet w high arch and high instep

luke Lydiard · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 754

I have a very lightly used pair of La Sportiva Trango Extreme GTXs in size 44.0 for $225. 

I'll ship to anywhere in the CONUS for free and cover PayPall too.

This is a full shank boot that will accept step in crampons and is great for ice and mixed climbing anywhere in the lower 48.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 650

You want a fully-insulated single boot with a fully rigid sole.  Examples: La Spo Nepal, La Spo G5/Batura, or even the silver bullets that Luke posted.  I know of at least one climber who got severe frostbite on all 10 toes on Dragontail's North Face, so don't be afraid to lean toward a warmer boot.

Briggs Lazalde wrote:

I should mention I have very narrow feet w high arch and high instep

Which means that you should try on the boots and see what fits.

I'm size 9.5 normally. 41.5 climbing shoe. Definitely will go and try boots first but having worked retail theres nothing worse than spending time helping someone find a perfect fit then seeing them leave to buy online. Ill see what I can do though.

FWIW, I'm a 9.5 in most running shoes (mostly Saucony), 27 in Scarpa and Dynafit ski boots.  I wear 43.5 in both La Sportiva and Scarpa mountain boots, which seems large, but it works.  I've worn out a couple of pair of 43.5 LS with no fit issues.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply