Mountain Project Logo

My, how times have changed!

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125

I like how a thread about Lynn Hill gets drifted to someone else... My theory is that over 25 years later, with all the progress in free climbing, no one on this thread (or probably on this site) can relate to her accomplishments.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526
reboot wrote:

My theory is that over 25 years later, with all the progress in free climbing, no one on this thread (or probably on this site) can relate to her accomplishments.

I beg to differ.

S. Neoh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 35
rgold wrote:

I beg to differ.

Ditto.

brenta · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 75
reboot wrote:

My theory is that over 25 years later, with all the progress in free climbing, no one on this thread (or probably on this site) can relate to her accomplishments.

On the contrary.  Almost twenty five years later, Lynn Hill's first free ascent of the Nose is firmly established as one of the pivotal moments in the history of climbing.  "It goes, boys!" is a bit like "alea iacta est."  A lot is wrapped up in those three words.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
rgold wrote:

I beg to differ.

So, West coast biased here having never been to the Gunks, but what are the other accomplishments we’re talking about? The arguments on the thread seem Gunk centered. What at the Gunks compares to freeing the nose? I know there are harder climbs but for a female climber to free the nose at that time, what else is there? 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
S2k4 Life wrote:

Well she might be the only person to get married in a wedding dress on a cliff,,,  while hanging of high e (gunks ultra classic) she had a preacher at the ledge to certify the marriage a best man and woman as well

Pretty sure it was at Skytop and not High E. And a possibly little known fact - that wasn't the actual wedding ceremony, but a for-laughs event created after their more conventional ceremony in New Paltz.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
reboot wrote:

I like how a thread about Lynn Hill gets drifted to someone else... My theory is that over 25 years later, with all the progress in free climbing, no one on this thread (or probably on this site) can relate to her accomplishments.

On the contrary, Hill's legacy is a large part of why I'm doing what I'm doing climbing-wise. I am climbing in the Gunks and establishing myself here before spending time out west, as she did, because she showed that this was a viable way to get strong. I'll never be as strong as Lynn Hill, but I hope to be strong enough to climb a lot of fun stuff.

rgold wrote:

I beg to differ.

I haven't seen you make a comment about Lynn Hill on this thread so far...

S2k4 Life wrote:

or that has done the nose can relate to her just my op.

Oh yeah, who? Even a free attempt? Aiding the nose isn't even the same game.

reboot wrote:

I haven't seen you make a comment about Lynn Hill on this thread so far...

I'd like to hear the precise unstated rule of discourse that requires gestures of appreciation whenever someone accomplished is mentioned.

I'd also like to hear the  logic that I or anyone else saying nothing about Lynn Hill in shiny tights in front of a fake climbing wall on the set of the Dave Letterman show leads to the conclusion that "no one on this thread (or probably on this site) can relate to her accomplishments."  Actually, a full appreciation of her accomplishments might lead to some restraint when this particular video popped up.

In any case, the thread is not about Lynn Hill, it is about how times have changed.  

And finally, thread drift happens.  Its occurrence has nothing to do with any lack of understanding of or appreciation for the original topic.

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0
rgold wrote:

I'd like to hear the precise unstated rule of discourse that requires gestures of appreciation whenever someone accomplished is mentioned.

I'd also like to hear the  logic that I or anyone else saying nothing about Lynn Hill in shiny tights in front of a fake climbing wall on the set of the Dave Letterman show leads to the conclusion that "no one on this thread (or probably on this site) can relate to her accomplishments."  Actually, a full appreciation of her accomplishments might lead to some restraint when this particular video popped up.

In any case, the thread is not about Lynn Hill, it is about how times have changed.  

And finally, thread drift happens.  Its occurrence has nothing to do with any lack of understanding of or appreciation for the original topic.

If it is "unstated" - how will you hear it?

rob.calm · · Loveland, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 630
brenta wrote:

On the contrary.  Almost twenty five years later, Lynn Hill's first free ascent of the Nose is firmly established as one of the pivotal moments in the history of climbing.  "It goes, boys!" is a bit like "alea iacta est."  A lot is wrapped up in those three words.

Perhaps an even more appropriate 3-word Latin epigram for Lynn Hill (and like the posted one is also associated with Julius Caesar) would be, “Veni, vidi, vici.”

Valete,

Robertus.Pacificus

Kuntor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 15
Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

I've always found "valar morghulis"  to be applicable.

rob.calm · · Loveland, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 630
Andrew Krajnik wrote:

I've always found "valar morghulis"  to be applicable.

" valar morghulis" . Huh? 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Gunkiemike wrote:

Pretty sure it was at Skytop and not High E. And a possibly little known fact - that wasn't the actual wedding ceremony, but a for-laughs event created after their more conventional ceremony in New Paltz.

Correct on both.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
rob.calm wrote:

" valar morghulis" . Huh? 

It's a Game of Thrones reference... People were throwing out latin phrases, so I decided to include one from a different, entirely fictional, dead language.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "My, how times have changed!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started