Mountain Project Logo

Need Motivation

Original Post
Austin Baird · · SLC, Utah · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 95

In the summer of 2014, I took the bar exam, had my first kid, and landscaped my yard - all while working 50 hours a week. My schedule was too weird to climb consistently and so I got into ultrarunning. Fast forward to now and I still run, but am really jonesing to get back into climbing (more than the twice a week, 45 minute bouldering session). I want to spend the winter training and getting back into climbing shape, but I need an objective to motivate me. I'm looking for a inspiring, fun, 12b(ish) sport route or a sporty-feeling (like face climbing instead of crack-intensive) trad route to get stoked for in the spring. Any suggestions for the Wasatch? I'd prefer the Salt Lake/Provo area, but I'd go anywhere between Logan and Maple.

mkclimb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 416

Maple Canyon is great for that mid 5.12 range, and the style of climbing on cobblestones definitely benefits being in shape; a lot of the routes tend to be a little easier to read as the cobbles create tons of foothold options. Check out the "Minimum Crag" on this site; there is a stack of routes in that range that are all quality.

Adam Jensen · · Taylorsville, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 310
grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

You sound like All Chalk and No Action to me

Acmesalute76 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 66

You didn't have time to climb but managed to squeeze in 100 miles a week of ultra training? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Need Motivation"
in the Northern Utah & Idaho