Mountain Project Logo

'17-'18 Midwest ice conditions

Mike Blisz · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 384

Supposed st. Louis canyon at SRSP. Jan 2, 2018 

No word on access as of yet

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=968947349918900&id=495265390620434

Remo · · Madison, WI · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 13,727

Lone Rock is very close.  From what we could tell it wasn't touching down yet.  The river is frozen but slushy at the base of the routes.  

Cox Hollow at G. Dodge is fat!  Best conditions it's been in years.

Cheers!

Starved Rock has the sign in sheets up an allowing climbing!!

Any conditions photos for the allowed falls (Wildcat, Lasalle, Ottawa, Tonti)??

Ottawa shot from instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdbpRt1lna_/?tagged=starvedrock

Doug Hemken · · Madison, WI · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 13,680

Thank you sir!

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280
Mikeyy wrote:

Starved Rock has the sign in sheets up an allowing climbing!!

Any conditions photos for the allowed falls (Wildcat, Lasalle, Ottawa, Tonti)??

Ottawa shot from instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdbpRt1lna_/?tagged=starvedrock

Mike,,,were you there today?   Thursday, 1-4-18?   I just got back from SRSP. Was supposed to meet with the Park Supt. but he ended up taking the day off.  Met with the woman I emalled with earlier this week,  the natural resources consultant, named Lisa Sons.   Yes, the sign in board is out, NO, THERE IS NO ICE TO CLIMB YET IN TONTI OR WILDCAT......Is that 'instagram' pic of Ottowa Canyon ice from TODAY?    Please do not post ice pics that are NOT CURRENT CONDITIONS.  It will mislead people to think that being 'open', means there is now ice to climb.   The sign in board had two guys from Wednesday who said 'no ice' in Tonti.  I went to Wildcat and can confirm that there is NO ICE there either

AND the rumors of possible access to St. Louis ice and French Canyons is WRONG. NOT for use.  Do NOT climb ice in St. Louis Canyon or French Canyon as they are still on the NO CLIMB list.   Same 4 canyons as last year, same rules. Stop at maintenance shack to sign in and out on board.  Leave notes on conditons so IF park checks the board, they can possibly give a report on ice.  They do not want to field dozens of phone calls about 'is the ice ready for climbing'. as they do NOT give condition consent ,,,that is our choice and responsibility.  

Pic I took in Wildcat today shows that a chunk started to form, but has fallen to the canyon floor. There is NO base 'cauliflower' forming ,,, evidence of very little flow again in the canyons. Plenty of cold, even a few inches of snow, but little flow and thus, not much to work with to form big ice.    

More later on comment heard today,  and hints of a dim future ahead for us in seasons to come.  But as of 2PM Thursday, 1-4-18, there is no ice but at least the sign in board is out now for us to check in and out.

Juggler Jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 1,185
Woodchuck ATC wrote:

AND the rumors of possible access to St. Louis ice and French Canyons is WRONG. NOT for use.  Do NOT climb ice in St. Louis Canyon or French Canyon as they are still on the NO CLIMB list.   Same 4 canyons as last year, same rules. Stop at maintenance shack to sign in and out on board.  Leave notes on conditons so IF park checks the board, they can possibly give a report on ice.  They do not want to field dozens of phone calls about 'is the ice ready for climbing'. as they do NOT give condition consent ,,,that is our choice and responsibility.  

Pic I took in Wildcat today shows that a chunk started to form, but has fallen to the canyon floor. There is NO base 'cauliflower' forming ,,, evidence of very little flow again in the canyons. Plenty of cold, even a few inches of snow, but little flow and thus, not much to work with to form big ice.    

More later on comment heard today,  and hints of a dim future ahead for us in seasons to come.  But as of 2PM Thursday, 1-4-18, there is no ice but at least the sign in board is out now for us to check in and out.

That Instagram of OttAwa pic is supposedly from Jan 1, 2018- 4 days ago...., could be climbable

Mikeyy wrote:

Supposed st. Louis canyon at SRSP. Jan 2, 2018 

No word on access as of yet

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=968947349918900&id=495265390620434

St Louis STILL CLOSED....

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

Yes climbers, please for Starved Rock,,only post up pics of ice we CAN climb, pics from this season of current conditions.  Scenic shots of the park can be posted elsewhere, but if posted here they will confuse people on access and/or conditions.   Same 4 canyons are open for this year:  LaSalle, Ottowa, Tonti, and Wildcat. All of French, upper and lower formations, are still not allowed for climbing.and St. Louis has never been open for our regular use.  Please follow those restrictions. Nothing new added, and so far none removed from list.  LaSalle has one short ice formation.  Tonti can have two major ice towers, in a good winter.  Wildcat usually has the one main ice falls, but a second has formed unexpectedly to the left, about once every 25 years so far.   And Ottowa has one major ice formation.  A second section forms just to the right, IF condiditions are just right and big ice builds.Seems this add on piece has been forming more often in the last 15 years than in earlier years. Ottowa Canyon has now been the most dependable ice canyon to get up and ready for several years now, IF there is any ice at all, that is.  So several formatons can be out there if we get some water flow thorugh all the needed canyons soon , in this nice cold spell.

The Wyalusing area ice is in.  I've posted some new approach beta for the Main Flow.  The waterfalls inside the Park (Sand Cave, Pictured Rocks Cave) are in and plastic.

The Main Flow and Quarry Monster are in, but not huge.  Keep in mind that both these formations require you to access them with proper respect for the local property owners.

Pete Cutler · · Des Moines, IA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 5

Whats the word with access for the Wyalusing ice?  I wanted to drive up there to check it out, but don't want to drive 4 hours and not be able to climb.  Also, any more specific approach / location beta?  The MP description is a bit vague 

I posted some revised beta and some GPS approach trails, this morning.  For the Main Flow, walk through the woods and along the river ice west of the tracks, as far as you can.  The falls as Pictured Rock (Sand Castle) is in good shape, too.

Lasalle Canyon, SRSP in but thin

Ottawa in fat

Get at it before the warm temps this wk!

Tonti not touched down yet

Dan Rudolph · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 31

Kaskaskia in starved rock for what it's worth. Maybe 10 or 15 feet high. Ranger circled this on my map and said it was fair game.
Doug Hemken wrote:

Juggler, this is 100% false.  Please remove it.  In fact I spoke with a DNR official about ice climbing in the Park on Thursday, before I went scouting on Friday.

so sorry Doug, I was told by a reporter doing a story on ice climbing in IL and WI who called the state park and he was told(in late December) that climbing was not allowed....  does not surprise us that DNR staff would give conflicting info.... just did not want anyone to get in trouble...  :(

Doug Hemken wrote:

I posted some revised beta and some GPS approach trails, this morning.  For the Main Flow, walk through the woods and along the river ice west of the tracks, as far as you can.  The falls as Pictured Rock (Sand Castle) is in good shape, too.

where did you post this info? Thanks

Juggler, I posted approach GPS approach trails - even if you don't use GPS, look at the maps here on MP.  I also edited some of the descriptions.  If you are using the app, it can take a while for the changes to show up.

Currently, many folks in the WDNR have a policy of talking as little about climbing as possible, for fear of liability.  This gives many people the wrong impression.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

Lots of people in Ottawa canyon at Starved Rock State Park today.  It was pretty wet on the right side, and should keep growing as long as this warm up doesn't last too long. There was also freezing rain for about 1/2 of the day, so the skies are putting down more moisture to hopefully get Wildcat going. Wednesday is the only killer day this week with a low of 41 at night, then back to freezing temps for a week.  Hopefully all the canyons will have ice in them as Tonti is close. 

Pic of Tonti today... Ottawa was wet but dry left side and good

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "'17-'18 Midwest ice conditions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started