Mountain Project Logo

Johny Vegas to Sun Flower

Original Post
Emmanuel Lacoste · · Upland, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 6

My partner and I plan on doing Johny Vegas to Sun Flower on Solar Slab. Haven't been up there since the late 80's, curious about the rap route on Solar Slab.

Thanks ahead of time.

Emmanuel

Leslie H · · Keystone · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 415

I just rapped JV/SS. I was surprised that  my usual rap, from the boulder at  the top of JV to the tree below in the gully, had no more tat on it. Curious if this was removed on purpose? I always found this to be the fastest way out of the area, as opposed to starting the rap in the gully. Other than that- it's all pretty straightforward and hard to mess up.

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 40

Avoid rapping johnny Vegas, it’s a rope eater. The gully is a way better option for rapping. The rappers off of solar slab pulled clean. But I don’t know beta for sun flower rapping.

W L · · NEVADASTAN · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 851
Leslie McG wrote:

I just rapped JV/SS. I was surprised that  my usual rap, from the boulder at  the top of JV to the tree below in the gully, had no more tat on it. Curious if this was removed on purpose? I always found this to be the fastest way out of the area, as opposed to starting the rap in the gully. Other than that- it's all pretty straightforward and hard to mess up.

Tat rap from a boulder at the top of JV?  At least over the past 8 years there have been two sets of bolted anchors proximal to the top of JV. No tat.

With respect to the rope eating issue, both rap stations will reach, but the lower of the two will save you from getting your rope stuck to the climbers left of the roof on the first rap from the top of JV/Football Ledge.

Emmanuel Lacoste · · Upland, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 6

Not worried about rap on Johny Vegas. The plan is to continue on Sunflower and t Rap from up high. Near the top of Solar Slab the route.

Weston L wrote:

Tat rap from a boulder at the top of JV?  At least over the past 8 years there have been two sets of bolted anchors proximal to the top of JV. No tat.

With respect to the rope eating issue, both rap stations will reach, but the lower of the two will save you from getting your rope stuck to the climbers left of the roof on the first rap from the top of JV/Football Ledge.

The bolts/rap station off to the side are still there. From that rap you used to rap straight down to a tree with tons of tat on it, and from there into the gully floor. The tat around the tree is now gone, meaning this is no longer an option. Now everyone will have to  do this first rap with 2 ropes or rap the gully..creating some clusterf...k potential. 

There is no tree for rappelling Johnny Vegas.  Not sure what you are recalling rapping but obviously not that route. 

Weston L wrote:

There is no tree for rappelling Johnny Vegas.  Not sure what you are recalling rapping but obviously not that route. 

Definitely recalling what I have done a half dozen times and the ONLY way I have ever done it. "Obviously" you were not with me. I can not only recall when I did it but who I rapped it with each time. 

That's cool, but all of the raps for Johnny Vegas are bolted. Anything else is fake news

EDIT: you are rapping the gully.  Just because you recall having done it 1035 times does not mean you are using the right words for the right thing. 

Weston L wrote:

That's cool, but all of the raps for Johnny Vegas are bolted. Anything else is fake news

EDIT: you are rapping the gully.  Just because you recall having done it 1035 times does not mean you are using the right words for the right thing. 

I said the gully. I rap the boulder climbers right of JV to the TREE in the GULLY! I am trying to be helpful as well as figure out what happened to that rap station and don't appreciate you being a jerk.

Paul Morrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 55
Leslie McG wrote:

I said the gully. I rap the boulder climbers right of JV to the TREE in the GULLY! I am trying to be helpful as well as figure out what happened to that rap station and don't appreciate you being a jerk.

What's so helpful about calling people names?

Derek Doucet · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 66
John Wilder wrote:

Annnyyywaaaayyyy.... 

If you're doing jv to sunflower, I'd recommend topping out and doing the double rope descent for black Orpheus. It can be done easily with a 70m line or if you're willing to downclimb 10' of 4th class, a 60m will also work. Don't skip stations. 

This. MUCH better than rapping JV or the Gully.

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175
Leslie McG wrote:

"Obviously" you were not with me.

Not true he was there.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Johny Vegas to Sun Flower"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started