Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Paklenica (Croatia) in Jan. 2018

Original Post
AndyN Nagy · · Dayton, Ohio · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Does anybody have any experience climbing in Paklenica National Park and or any other areas in and around Croatia?  I will be in the area for most of January and would love to get some climbing in. I will have shoes and a harness with me, although no rope or draws.  

• How easy is it to find a partner?  
  • Are there accommodations in/around the park?
  • Any tips for transportation to the park? (I won't have a car)
  • Any suggestions for other accessible crags along the Adriatic / in Italy that would be reasonable to climb in January?
Ash Scott · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 56
AndyN Nagy wrote:

Does anybody have any experience climbing in Paklenica National Park and or any other areas in and around Croatia?  I will be in the area for most of January and would love to get some climbing in. I will have shoes and a harness with me, although no rope or draws.  

• How easy is it to find a partner?  
  • Are there accommodations in/around the park?
  • Any tips for transportation to the park? (I won't have a car)
  • Any suggestions for other accessible crags along the Adriatic / in Italy that would be reasonable to climb in January?

Some sad news for you, climbing there in January without a partner is almost impossible.

The weather is hard to predict, but generally quite cold (below freezing during the nights), and winter storms with 100+mph winds can roll in with no warning at all. Plenty of apartments in the closest town (Starigrad), but most will not be available during the winter months. Otherwise it's a 20-30min hike to the park from the town, even less with a bike. Only the most hardcore locals will be climbing at that time, but generally the park is empty in the winter.

It's one of my favorite Croatian crags with endless scenic routes, but the best time to visit would be from March to October. For winter climbing I'd say Spain would be your best option, but maybe the south of Italy is nice as well, no personal beta on that though. Otherwise if you don't mind the cold, there's multiple lifetimes' worth of mixed and ice routes in the Alps. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Paklenica (Croatia) in Jan. 2018"
in the Extended Trips and International Partners