Mountain Project Logo

Bouldering's a scam....right???

Original Post
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 290

Okay, pad people, fess up. Is bouldering really a "thing", or are you pulling our leg? I decided to find out.

Yesterday, my son proposed we go bouldering, my first real trip to do so. 

It was pouring buckets when we left, but by the time we drove fortyish miles south of town, and dropped 500', it had stopped and it was relatively nice.

Above, the arduous approach to the bouldering...

The historic site, and park, for a nearby pit stop...

Awful scenery...

And this stuff. Really? You pick one of these out of thousands, give it a name, and come up with eight ways to "climb" the thing??

I mean, even an Old Lady can do this, right??

Well. No. Actually. 

The first attempt, first time out, first problem ever, oops...

That problem now has one less hold, and an Old Lady took her first ever boulder fall.

Which was good.

You see, about a year ago, I fell off a whopping 20" above the ground, in the gym. Yeah. Less than two feet.

But. With arthritis? Screaming pain, compressing my knee like that. I just stood there for quite awhile, wondering if I was going to have to call 911.

No, as it turned out, and with PT and diligent exercising (most especially trying to climb regularly), my knees are much, much, better.

But the body and brain remember the pain. It has haunted me for a full year now.

I fell a bunch yesterday. I never did get up entirely on my own, and finally my son boosted me a bit, so I could perform a beached whale mantel. 

But she's smiling anyway. Because it isn't always about the send.

Sometimes, it's about the fear. And the falls.

Guys? You might be on to something here, but lets not tell, eh? Only so many million boulders in the world to play on, after all.

Scam. Yup. For sure. Spread the word.

Best, OLH

P.S. To Aleks: Yes I had the crushing neck meat to rip the rock asunder (it's still a V0-), and the refreshing of the forearm at the crux. Many times.

P.S.S. To the rest of you? Thanks, as always for encouraging me. That middle bit, "courage", wouldn't be there without you. I am deeply grateful.

Refreshing forearm rock rash.

Luke Pace · · Arkansas · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 70

Ha! Alex Megos climbs v0+

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

ho ho! ha ha!

'tis not a scam, 'tis quite amazing!

feel the power coursing through your meat of neck! Next time you are climbing on perhaps the rock it is more solid of quite high qualities!

John Barritt · · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,053

I'm just glad you wore a beanie............. ;)

BrokenChairs BrettC · · Sultan, WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 245

Nice work OLH!  Is that off I84 by Glenn's Ferry?  I had no idea there was bouldering there!  Now I will have something to do to break up the beautiful drive next time. ;-)

s.price · · the deck of Rover · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348

Way to go Helen!

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend, 

may your sinewy forearms be ever refreshed at crux, plenty of potassium and sodium ions most abundant for great wave kanagawa depolarization action potentials across sarcolemma! Hyah!

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 290
BrokenChairs BrettC wrote:

Nice work OLH!  Is that off I84 by Glenn's Ferry?  I had no idea there was bouldering there!  Now I will have something to do to break up the beautiful drive next time. ;-)

Nope, but it's lava all the way through. There's some really amazing rock in Idaho. This is the run of the mill stuff pictured here.

We went to Swan Falls, specifically the hairpin boulders. If you look carefully in the pic of the boulder field, you will see my 6' tall son scoping it out, for scale. These things aren't as small as what I dinked around on.

That's the Snake River, which spans southern Idaho. It and it's tributaries pass through many, many miles of canyons like this.

But please don't tell. ;-)

Thanks, all! I've promised to share these "firsts" as they come up. Hopefully it will help remind folks you can be shit awful at this and still enjoy the crap out of it!

Best, H.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Bouldering's a scam....right???"
in the Bouldering