Mountain Project Logo

Lone Rock Point now OFFICIALLY OPEN!

Original Post
Kris Fiore · · Burlington, Vermont · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 1,622

It has been the work of many CRAG-VT board members and volunteers but we are excited to announce that all details have been finalized with the Diocese and climbing at Lone Rock Point is OFFICIALLY OPEN! Lone Rock Point is a truly unique New England gem. It features overhanging limestone above Lake Champlain with routes ranging into 5.13+/5.14- terrain.

The current agreement lasts until the end of 2018 at which point the Diocese and CRAG-VT will reconvene and see if any further negotiations are needed. Thanks are also owed to the Diocese who stuck with us in this process, devoting many hours of work to understand climbing and climbing access when they had very little reason to open the cliff other than for our climbing pleasure.

The skinny on things to know:

- Obtain a climbing pass HERE.

- Suggested donation of $5 per day or $35 per year. This helps offset future costs incurred by CRAG-VT.

- SIGN IN at the kiosk by the parking lot near the Diocese.

- No more than 8 climbers at a time at the cliff. Again, check the kiosk.

- Do not add any fixed protection. In 2018 we will be negotiating adding routes but for now, enjoy what is there.

Other than that, respect the land, leave no trace, stay on trails, and be a good person.

More info at cragvt.org

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Thank you for your work!

Adam Gellman · · Jersey City/Burlington · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 140

Fantastic to hear! Will more routes be posted on mountain project? Is there any way for local climbers to help out with that?

Kris Fiore · · Burlington, Vermont · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 1,622
Adam Gellman wrote:

Fantastic to hear! Will more routes be posted on mountain project? Is there any way for local climbers to help out with that?

I've added what I've been on. I do know all the climb names and ratings but I don't really feel like posting them all and just writing, "7th climb from the left, it's 5.13a" as the entire description since I haven't actually been on any of the others so I can't really say anything more about them.

Obviously anyone who has climbed them (or even if they haven't I guess?) can add more if they know more. I'll be on them next chance I get and I'll post when I climb something. Some people are worried about the same things people always worry about which is that increased access means more people which risks access and could cause crowding but I think once people see how hard it is the "crowds" will thin. I've been climbing in Vermont for 5 years and I've literally only once waited to get on a climb.

In short, it's pretty much all hard. One 5.10, a few 5.11s, then a smattering of 5.12 and 5.13s and one possible 5.14 project.

Conor Mark · · Asheville, NC · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 670

Rad

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Lone Rock Point now OFFICIALLY OPEN!"
in the Northeastern States