Mountain Project Logo

Rappeling or Top Roping - San Antonio

Original Post
Dustin Aycoth · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Does anyone know of any areas to rappel and/or top rope within 90 minutes or so of San Antonio. I am looking to take some beginners, but have only heard of Enchanted Rock State Park...and all that seems to be trad climbing. Not the way to start beginners and I only brought minimal gear to San Antonio thinking that there would be top roping somewhere nearby. Someone mentioned good rappeling spots at Canyon Lake, but I haven't been able to confirm that from any other source. Any help would be most appreciated.

Sincerely, Frustrated Climber Man

chris murphy · · Centennial Co · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 20

I think there is something near new braunfuls but be aware most of any climbing in that area of teaxs is private property and we all know how gun happy texans are. Austin has climbing though 

Blakevan · · Dallas, TX · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 55

There are a few places at E-rock that you can set top ropes on bolted anchors and would be fine for beginners. https://www.mountainproject.com/v/echo-canyon/105868640  If you go to E-Rock go early as they close the parking lots most weekend days because of the crowds.

You might can make Reimers or the Green Belt in 90 minutes but you'll need to lead the route to set the top ropes.  I can't think of a place other then those that come close to what you want so hopefully a local can chime in.

Use the Route Finder on the front page to find T/R places as a start.

Mike Slavens · · Houston, TX · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 35

I'm not 100% sure about rappelling but there is no good top roping anywhere near SA.  There is decent but limited top roping for beginners at Enchanted Rock (like Echo Canyon) but 1) it requires trad gear to setup the anchor which it doesn't sound like you have, and 2) those areas are gang roped by guide services catering to boy scout groups, and the guides send out someone EARLY to get the ropes setup and claim the route so unlikely that the route is available anyway.  There is random cliff right around SA but I think those routes check in at overhanging 5.11 or harder and no rappelling.  Your realistic options are:

1) Drive to new Momentum Katy gym in Houston

2) Drive to E-rock, hope a decent route is open and that you have enough gear to setup a top rope.  If not, it is a very nice park to hike around.

3) Drive to Austin and bum a lead belay to hang a top rope.  Not a bad option as there are always plenty of climbers at Reimers, you only need 4 to 6 draws as routes are short sport routes, and top roping through the anchor is generally accepted there (although personally I think the courteous thing to do is TR through your own gear).

Dustin Aycoth · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Thank you all for the help and pointers! I apologize for the delay. Will look into what all you have told me.

- Dustin

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

At Reimers, you can easily reach some of the Zoey's Wall anchors from above and then hike down (if you rap, I recommend using lockers instead of the sport anchors). Zoey's is also a great place for beginners.

At Enchanted Rock, Motorboat Rock has an easy scramble to the top, and there are bolted anchors for a few 5.6 and 5.7 routes. If you have enough cord, you can tie off trees and boulders to TR some of the other routes.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Rappeling or Top Roping - San Antonio"