Mountain Project Logo

Baby Steps Getting Back To The Wall After 8 Years - Tendons

Original Post
Scott Segue · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

In my 20s I was progressing and moving past a plateau in my bouldering abilities (still very average) so climbed through pain I did not understand.  Pesky golfer's elbow but kept me out of climbing for months if not a year.  In my early 30s I didn't climb much but jumped headfirst into CrossFit for about a year where again, I was dumb and over trained with likely poor form (kipping pull ups and all).  I re-injured my previous climbing injury, making it much worse and added tennis elbow.  Over the last two years I've gone through some serious physical therapy (INTENSE needling from arms to shoulders to back included).  No symptoms of injury but my head still anticipates pain so I take it easy on those tendons in other activities.

I hope I'm smarter now that I'm turning 40 and want to get back on the wall and willing to go as slow and as cautiously as needed.  I just want to climb without injury and experience it with my young son.

I could use some help focusing on a few key areas and appreciate any insight and references:  Before climbing for the first time, proper warm up prior to a climbing day, and plan for my first few weeks/months.  I plan to avoid injury through a rather strict framework at first and adjust as needed so appreciate your guidance!

Thank you again.  As much as I come up with ideas above I also realize that I will need to focus on what is most important.  I can put in the time but want to be smart and efficient on what makes it into my daily routine vs once or twice a week.

Scott

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Baby Steps Getting Back To The Wall After 8 Yea…"
in the Injuries and Accidents