Mountain Project Logo

What is the book to buy for climbing in Tetons and Devil's Tower?

Original Post
sheriw724 · · Los Angeles · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 95

Plan to climb in the Grand Tetons and Devil's Tower next year. I want to purchase the climbing book for each of those areas.  Which ones should I get? "A Climbers Guide to the Teton Range" ?  Thanks

j sittler · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

There is a guidebook for Devil's Tower....it's probably better than mountain project...maybe...

Mike13 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 10

There is a terrific book for the Tetons called a climbers guide 

That is the one I saw online, "A Climber's Guide to the Teton Range." It's just that copyright date is 1996, so I didn't know if there was a newer/better one.

What is the name of the suggested one for Devil's Tower? Or is MP sufficient?

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,135
sheriw724 wrote:

That is the one I saw online, "A Climber's Guide to the Teton Range." It's just that copyright date is 1996, so I didn't know if there was a newer/better one.

There are others but they are select guides. If you want complete details and history get the Ortenburger/Jackson A Climber's Guide to the Teton Range.

For the Tower the book by Dick Guilmette, et al. has been the std. for many years.

seano · · Northern, NM · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 20

Yes, Ortenburger is the Teton bible.  There are also a couple of newer ones aimed more at craggers than mountaineers, like Gams' "Teton Rock Climbs," with  color photos and more detailed beta on fewer routes.  The Climbers' Ranch has copies if you're staying there.

Brandon.Phillips · · Portola, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

I would get the Gams book if you plan to climb classic Teton routes. There is plenty in there to keep you busy.  

Ortenburger is much more comprehensive and probably overkill for a lot of people unless you want to climb more obscure routes/ learn more route history.  It's a big ass book. 

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 983
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply