Mountain Project Logo

Table rock- a tall climb to be good on!!

Original Post
Ezra Ellis · · Hotlanta · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 0

So I was out at table Rock a couple of weeks ago and I was able to get on “a tall climb to be good on” after a twelve year absence.

The bolts are, in my opinion, in Sorry shape .

The bolts are Fairly rusty with a bent first bolt hanger.

I am all for historical gear, just not on modern sport routes.

I have been climbing in North Carolina for 18 years, and give to the access fund yearly;

I have also contributed to the Carolina climbers.

Thanks for listening!

-Ezra 

Andrew Jackson · · Greensboro, NC · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1

Ezra, I  believe Tablerock falls under Mike Trew's (northern mountain region CCC rep)area. You can send him an email voicing your complaint. All bolt and anchor replacement in North Carolina is done by volunteers who are supplied with bolts from the CCC and American Safe Climbing, it's unfortunately a long and arduous process to get to the thousands of rusties  that need replacement throughout NC. Contacting the  areas rep can speed up the process though.

Mike's email : mtrew@carolinaclimbers.org

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

Corey Winstead has been doing bolt replacement work up at table rock. As you can imagine, there are quite a few to get to. We ran out of hardware and are restocking, but CLimbtech is currently short on the legacy bolts that we prefer to use. 

Also worth noting that we only just recently cleared the one for one replacement work with the forest service, that has been a sticking point at table for quite some time. As always, use your own best judgement on the quality of fixed anchors and you can always climb something else if you don’t like the look of the gear. 

Ezra Ellis · · Hotlanta · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 0

Thanks Brian for your help, and hard work!

nbrown · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 7,724

Ezra, I know what you mean - I thought about taking care of those a long time ago but those rust-welded 5-pieces can be an enormous pain to remove. Luckily they're (usually) much better than they look.

Give me a shout next time you're in the area. Hope all is well

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Table rock- a tall climb to be good on!!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started