Original Post
Sir Camsalot · · thankgodchickenhead, Ut · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 140

Jan 14, 1923 - Oct 30, 2017. Glad to have shared a rope with you. Rest in Peace

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

Rest In Peaks...thanks for all the routes you put up

edit: been wanting to see the movie, now I really want catch it

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310
DCarey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 65

North America may never know another climber as prolific as Fred. What a legacy. Thank you for your vision and your unimaginably large huevos.   

TradRick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 30

He was an inspiration to me.   I hope to be climbing as late in life as he did.

Chris Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 50

He lived life his way - may we all be so lucky.  RIP - may the view out your window in heaven be a big wall with unlimited new routes!

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 666

Anyone have a source to confirm?

Anthony L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 25

Just saw this on Cascade Climbers. Sad day.  Thanks, Fred, for providing so much fun for all of us.

NWNINJA · · Nederland, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 80

Nick Sweeney wrote:

Anyone have a source to confirm?

I'm not seeing anything confirming this. 

I will certainly feel weird in my Fred Beckey costume tomorrow if this is true. 

CrimpDaddy-WesP · · Lancaster PA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 260

Prayers for this family and friends. What an inspiration. I just read about him; I wish I could have known about legends like him before they passed. 

Rockwood · · West Jordan · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 325

Belaying him up a climb at 92 was one of the highlights of my climbing experience. What an inspiration to live your life till the very end. 

Marcelo F · · Oakland, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Damn. A real American legend. Some of the first trad routes I climbed were Beckey routes in the Leavenworth area, some of them put up before my parents were even born. Rest in peace.

Chase Giltner · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0
Sir Camsalot · · thankgodchickenhead, Ut · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 140

Chase Giltner wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/mbondpauli/posts/10212166011678930

Megan was his caretaker, his chauffeur, his nurse and his friend nearly all of the past 5 years. She has single handedly kept Fred going for the past few years. A huge thank you to Megan Bond. 

Victor K · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 165

For any of you in Denver, the movie "Dirtbag" is playing at the Denver International Film Festival.This sad news will add some poignancy for sure. What an amazing individual.

NWNINJA · · Nederland, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 80

The climbing tribe has suffered many losses this year. May we all continue to carry the torch and try to burn half as bright. 

Off Belay Fred

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,070

What a life! What a legend! He could have lived to 150,  and it would still feel too soon. 

NateGfunk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 50

A giant. Inimitable. 

Saw dirtbag in Mill Valley, go see it! It was great. He was an American icon. 

Jplotz · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 980

If you venture out into the mountains, you *will* eventually climb a Beckey route. What an unmatched legacy he has left in his bootprints,  not only of climbing, but of geology, geography, exploration and documentation. 

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

I climbed at Washington Pass this summer, and remember thinking that Fred was a maniac for hiking in and doing those routes before there was a road. 

I've climbed a decent number of his routes and I can definitely say that his legacy will live forever in the climbing world.

Off belay, Fred. RIP

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,091

Fred was the right person at the right time.  It is almost impossible to imagine how he was able to do so much, particularly when you factor in the absolutely heinous approaches, the full commitment of the unknown (up AND down), and the gear he did it with.  Beyond astonishing...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "RIP Fred Beckey"
in the General Climbing