For next few days, REI will DOUBLE your gift to the Access Fund - up to $65,000. Donate Now!
Mountain Project Logo

Trip suggestions

Original Post
Nick Tallas · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

My girlfriend and I are planning on taking a trip in our van to wait out Canada’s winter (7 months). We are both beginner sport climbers (dont own a rack) and are looking to visit areas with more moderate multi pitch sport routes (max 5.10+) as well as visit new and interesting places. Keeping in mind that we live in a van so we will be confined to the southwestern states because of temps. Any must climb/see areas you guys could suggest?  Thanks!

Ben K · · Columbia, MD · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 20

If you aren't limiting yourself to the United States.

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/el-potrero-chico/105910764

Eric Stern · · Boulder, CO/ Tacoma Washington · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 40

I think the obvious location is Red Rock. The  Calico Hills are full of sport routes and Unimpeachable Groping, Prince of Darkness and Big Bad Wolf are arguably classic multi-pitch routes for the area.

Mike McKinnon · · Golden, CO · Joined Aug 2003 · Points: 65

red rocks in Vegas is a must visit.  Portero is a great suggestion too if you can climb outside US. Other places would be Utah, New Mexico and Arizona. Although you can hit cold snaps in those ares so chasing the sun would be good. Enchanted Tower in New Mexico is great.

Daniel T · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35

Joshua Tree would be a good So Cal climbing spot. 

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

Enchanted Tower in the winter is generally NOT great. Think 7k feet in a narrow valley. 

Thomas Raben · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

seconding red rocks, awesome single and multi pitch sport of all levels, also el protrero chico tho i've never been

Josh is great in the winter but if you don't have a rack and don't want to clip bolts with big runouts it might not be ideal

NCD · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 55

Hey Nick, 

I live in a van also and after leaving Colorado last week will be making my way to St George, Utah for the winter. It seems like a pretty ideal place for winter vandwelling and climbing for lots of reasons. I’ve only bouldered there in the past but there is tons of sport climbing (my main interest) including multi pitch in the surrounding area. If you make it down hit me up!

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Another possibility might be the Owens River Gorge, but it will depend on current conditions at the time and when you might be there. 

phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 617

Tucson - plenty of sport routes at the lower altitudes. 

yosem1te · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 15

I'm gonna throw another vote in for Joshua Tree.  There's a few sport routes that aren't crazy runout (my two favorites are Willit Slab and SW Corner).  They're both pretty mellow, but Willit is good slab practice and SW Corner is just a straight up awesome climb.  And if you're there all winter, you could learn trad if you feel so inclined.

B Owens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 60
yosem1te wrote:

I'm gonna throw another vote in for Joshua Tree.  There's a few sport routes that aren't crazy runout (my two favorites are Willit Slab and SW Corner).  They're both pretty mellow, but Willit is good slab practice and SW Corner is just a straight up awesome climb.  And if you're there all winter, you could learn trad if you feel so inclined.

The OP said they are beginner sport climbers; Joshua Tree is probably the worst place (that actually has multi-pitch sport routes) that they could spend their time if they are looking for multi-pitch sport routes.  

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310
phylp wrote:

Tucson - plenty of sport routes at the lower altitudes. 

phylp is very wise.

phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 617

Not as wise as Obi-Guy Wan-Keesee. But thanks Guy! Hope to run into you sometime. Phyl

Daniel T · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35

Nick Tallas wrote:

My girlfriend and I are planning on taking a trip in our van to wait out Canada’s winter (7 months). We are both beginner sport climbers (dont own a rack) and are looking to visit areas with more moderate multi pitch sport routes (max 5.10+) as well as visit new and interesting places. Keeping in mind that we live in a van so we will be confined to the southwestern states because of temps. Any must climb/see areas you guys could suggest?  Thanks!

Bowens wrote:

The OP said they are beginner sport climbers; Joshua Tree is probably the worst place (that actually has multi-pitch sport routes) that they could spend their time if they are looking for multi-pitch sport routes.  

The OP did also mention that they wanted to see new places.  There is a shit ton more to do in JTree than just climb.  Climbing only occupies about 1/10th of the space of that park.

B Owens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 60
Daniel T wrote:

Nick Tallas wrote:

Bowens wrote:

The OP did also mention that they wanted to see new places.  There is a shit ton more to do in JTree than just climb.  Climbing only occupies about 1/10th of the space of that park.

No arguing about that; Joshua Tree is a great place to visit.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Trip suggestions"
in the Southern California