Mountain Project Logo

RR Sport for visiting Brit

Original Post
Mat L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Hi all

My girlfriend and I are heading to Vegas at the beginning of November for a few days.  I'd quite like to get some climbing in at RR, but ill be limited by what gear I can bring.  I'll only be able to bring basic sport climbing gear (70m rope, draws etc) but I don't have space for any trad gear.  

Is there enough fully bolted sport at a low grade (5.9 / 5.10 or below) to keep us busy for a couple of days? Happy for either single pitch or easy multipitch. 

Cheers

Mat

El Duderino · · SoCal · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,355

Hello Mat, you’ll want to buy this guidebook (see picture). Runs an even $40 USD last I checked. Pick it up from the REI store in Vegas (which is nearby RR) or better yet “Desert Rock Sports” Store. It’ll save you a lot of time, or use MP beta if you want to save $40 and loose some time. You are asking for sport, so that basically means 1st and 2nd pullout or Calico Hills. Be warned that if you pass 1st and 2nd pullout you will have to drive around the loop again and go through the entrance a second time (one way road). Calico Hills is a 2way road. Plenty of sport within your range to keep you busy for a very long time. Have fun! Cheers, David.

Mat L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks for the reply.  looks like i'll be packing my climbing kit :)

Tim Sloane · · North Las Vegas, NV · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 35

Depending on the dates you are here, I might be able to join up with you during the week.  I have plenty of trad gear if you want to get on some easy/moderate stuff.  Let me know.

Cheers,

Tim

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535

Fwiw, you can't buy the Handren guide at REI. 

Locally it can only be purchased at Desert Rock, Origin, and I believe the Visitor Center at the loop (not 100% on that).

and yes, there is PLENTY of moderate sport available for you in Red Rock. A quick search on Mountain Project will give you an idea of where to start, but I would recommend picking up the Handren guide. 

Michael S. Catlett · · Middleburg, VA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 175

He is right..... MP is the answer for you. Download to your phone and don’t depend on coverage.

RR is the bomb for every kind of climbing.  

B-Mkll Mackall · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 1,723

Matt,

With something like 3000 bolted routes at RR, you'll have plenty to keep you busy. RR is also an absolutely fantastic place to push grades with the well-chalked, skin-friendly gym-like sandstone at many of the sport crags. I usually feel comfortable hopping on things at least a couple letter grades to a number grade harder than I would climb anywhere else. 

Have a lot of fun. Crags to check out would be Coco Crag, Panty Wall, Black Corridor, Family Crag/ Conundrum, The Gallery, Civilization Crag, Inferno Crag, The Hamlet.... and that's just a start with plenty in the 9-.10 range. If you want to travel into the canyons for what little sport exists there, you could still manage to find some multipitches that you could do with just a handful of draws and maybe 1-3 cams if you can find someone to borrow from. A quick search on MP here should show you some of the options.

If you want to get on trad gear and are staying at the campground, you'll find a quick note on the community board there will net you some very eager partners. Lots of people travel to RRC for the climbing, and not all of them are with partners. 

Enjoy!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "RR Sport for visiting Brit"