Mountain Project Logo

Drones. Oh the possibilities

Original Post
Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Forget belay glasses. I wanna see a company make a app or whatever the f**** that uses some of those mini drones that follow you and it sends the video to your belayer's hololens style glasses so when they want to look up their vision isn't blocked by a phone like a typical VR. Having a constant video feed no matter where your climber is could be game changing. Obviously weather, surroundings, length of pitch, battery life etc. will all come into play but this tech is still in its infancy and I wanna see where it goes. I however dont have the know-how to start it up so get out there and take this million dollar idea.. Also heavy hauler drones like the ones Amazon apparently uses for larger deliveries could change the game as far as large alpine endeavours where a lack of food and fuel and warm dry clothing will end an ascension like what happened to Conrad Anker's team on their first attempt at Meru. Call it cheating or what you will but every piece of gear is there to minimize risk already. Frostbite is some serious shit. Send them f*****s some dry socks damnit

Warrior · · Rock City, GA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 310

Briggs Lazalde wrote:

Forget belay glasses. I wanna see a company make a app or whatever the f**** that uses some of those mini drones that follow you and it sends the video to your belayer's hololens style glasses so when they want to look up their vision isn't blocked by a phone like a typical VR. Having a constant video feed no matter where your climber is could be game changing. Obviously weather, surroundings, length of pitch, battery life etc. will all come into play but this tech is still in its infancy and I wanna see where it goes. I however dont have the know-how to start it up so get out there and take this million dollar idea.. Also heavy hauler drones like the ones Amazon apparently uses for larger deliveries could change the game as far as large alpine endeavours where a lack of food and fuel and warm dry clothing will end an ascension like what happened to Conrad Anker's team on their first attempt at Meru. Call it cheating or what you will but every piece of gear is there to minimize risk already. Frostbite is some serious shit. Send them f*****s some dry socks damnit

https://youtu.be/NJHVgkchcbw?t=468  7:35 if it autoloads...

Hahaha that is an awesome video clip. Looks like they're just being silly but if anyone has more info on whether this tech is available chime in. Looks like a 3rd person is needed just to fly the thing. I know some drones have a follow setting. But yea if there were stats on the HUD or like a pre-scan of the route to determine and highlight bolts for sport routes this could get fun. Scannin routes prior to sending could help determine cam sizes needed or places to potential use nuts vs hexs vs cams, tricams etc. could be valuable too. The software would need to be smart.(A.I. is rapidly getting better as well) but offering suggestions could only help. Of course we don't want technology to do all the work for us but maybe people that are into it could send more routes than previously able. Could be detrimental to weekend warriors who drove hrs to send just a couple routes.

Zack s · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

I can't stand listening to those things while I'm climbing 

Cpt. E · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 95

I actually had a beer delivered to me up at the base of a cliff on sunday, from the operator down in the parking lot.  The beer was cold, and the drone didn't bother me a bit.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

Cpt. E wrote:

I actually had a beer delivered to me up at the base of a cliff on sunday, from the operator down in the parking lot.  The beer was cold, and the drone didn't bother me a bit.

the "only" legit use ...

gtluke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 3

IIRC some peak in CO was finally climbed by use of a drone. There was some annoying unclimbable boulder at the top that they used a drone to drape a rope over to get up. 

Jon Nelson · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 4,685

Briggs Lazalde wrote:

Or, while we are being outrageous, 

Why not haul a light, thin static line with a telephone wire down the middle? Plug your headsets in and chat quietly, or use it to haul up pieces you forgot, use it to haul up the stick clip, or use it for a pull line when you rap. 

Zack s wrote:

I can't stand listening to those things while I'm climbing 

Now did you expect them to be there? like was a friend filming or did they show up uninvited via another party?

Jon Nelson wrote:

Or, while we are being outrageous, 

Why not haul a light, thin static line with a telephone wire down the middle? Plug your headsets in and chat quietly, or use it to haul up pieces you forgot, use it to haul up the stick clip, or use it for a pull line when you rap. 

Plug in headsets.?. We have Bluetooth bro. Been around for a minute

Mark Says · · Aspen, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 395

Was this meant to be serious?

Only to a degree. Having fun w it but technological advancement is inevitable to some extent. Mainly thinking of the belay glasses reference. Belay glasses keep your neck from getting destroyed. They work until your climber is around a bulge or wandered out of sight.

Zabadoo · · Grand Rapids, MI · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 15

Drones to help improve communication might be a step along the way but human belayers will go the way of cars that you have to drive. We'll findthat having an AI computer attached to a motorized device will be significantly safer than human belayers.  Humans will simply be the meat sack needed to keep the person on the sharp end safe by providing some squishy counterweight.  A computer will be able to learn to never short rope you, can be linked to a wearable piece of tech (or watching you from a small drone) to know when you are pumped or sketched AND won't be fiddling in a bag to find that clif bar.  I'll be looking back 50 years from now and feeling visionary AF.

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35

Cpt. E wrote:

So lets get some more drones out to the crags...

Briggs Lazalde wrote:

Now did you expect them to be there? like was a friend filming or did they show up uninvited via another party?

Uninvited and no beer... 

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

Warrior wrote:

https://youtu.be/NJHVgkchcbw?t=468  7:35 if it autoloads...

Look at Dave's EYES at 8:12 

Zack s wrote:

Uninvited and no beer... 

Yea uninvited noise pollution will need to be remedied overtime but honestly that's a minor problem. Uninvited parties that show up and climb the route next to you bring noise albeit not propeller noise so its really just getting past it for now like you would while dealing with other parties.. Now if you or your party member brought the drone and say were filming videos tomorrow would the noise still get to you? Probably not as much or not at all. Circumstantial.. 

Briggs Lazalde wrote:

Yea uninvited noise pollution will need to be remedied overtime but honestly that's a minor problem. Uninvited parties that show up and climb the route next to you bring noise albeit not propeller noise so its really just getting past it for now like you would while dealing with other parties.. Now if you or your party member brought the drone and say were filming videos tomorrow would the noise still get to you? Probably not as much or not at all. Circumstantial.. 

Definitely circumstantial, if it’s a climbing party and they are using the drone to fly us beer sweet, if your just some random person up the canyon zooming it around all the climbers kind of annoying 

Briggs Lazalde wrote:

Yea uninvited noise pollution will need to be remedied overtime but honestly that's a minor problem. Uninvited parties that show up and climb the route next to you bring noise albeit not propeller noise so its really just getting past it for now like you would while dealing with other parties..

Short of playing music (see other thread), parties showing up next to me at the crag have never made noise anything remotely like a drone. It's not a minor problem, it is the problem; worrying about being spied on comes after you hear the herd of angry bumble-bees approaching.

I'm sure you would say the same about construction? It's not a big deal if a bunch of heavy machinery showed up and started tearing up the road through the night, after all you have neighbors and they make noise too.

Marcus wrote:

Short of playing music (see other thread), parties showing up next to me at the crag have never made noise anything remotely like a drone. It's not a minor problem, it is the problem; worrying about being spied on comes after you hear the herd of angry bumble-bees approaching.

I'm sure you would say the same about construction? It's not a big deal if a bunch of heavy machinery showed up and started tearing up the road through the night, after all you have neighbors and they make noise too.

Spied on? While cragging? Seriously? Stay home if you got paranoia bro. Worst case scenario is someone admires you're ability to do what they won't or can't..in which case you ask them to back off politely cuz its effecting your headgame... Maybe the drone is zooming in on your drivers license and social security card via xray vision...better check ur credit report see if there's a new card or account that's been opened in your name...

Briggs Lazalde wrote:

Spied on? While cragging? Seriously? Stay home if you got paranoia bro. Worst case scenario is someone admires you're ability to do what they won't or can't..in which case you ask them to back off politely cuz its effecting your headgame... Maybe the drone is zooming in on your drivers license and social security card via xray vision...better check ur credit report see if there's a new card or account that's been opened in your name...

Avoided question, check. Attempt at cleverness, check. Apparent lack of familiarity with other threads of this nature, check.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Drones. Oh the possibilities"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion