Mountain Project Logo

Petzl 'HCR' bolts and pricing

Original Post
Francis Haden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 27

Petzl's HCR bolt is available and consists of a SS 926 grade bolt and SS 904L hanger. Accepting that SS 926 will resist SCC, just as the Ti bolts on the market do so too, I'm wondering who would pay the approximate USD 36 for a complete unit versus approximate USD 13 ($1 for adhesive) for a Titan Climbing Titanium glue-in?

Any takers?

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

Francis Haden wrote:

Petzl's HCR bolt is available and consists of a SS 926 grade bolt and SS 904L hanger. Accepting that SS 926 will resist SCC, just as the Ti bolts on the market do so too, I'm wondering who would pay the approximate USD 36 for a complete unit versus approximate USD 13 ($1 for adhesive) for a Titan Climbing Titanium glue-in?

Any takers?

We briefly discussed this on the removable bolt thread a bit lower down.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,348

There may be some very specific and limited scenarios but you are correct there is little market for something like this when there are competing products that cost 1/4th as much and offer superior corrosion resistance. Also take into consideration Fixe just recalled some of their HCR hangers for corrosion related issues and that further questions the value of this product. In the end the market will decide, but I dont exactly think anyone is going to get an end of the year Christmas bonus over HCR bolt sales.

Francis Haden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 27

Jim Titt wrote:

We briefly discussed this on the removable bolt thread a bit lower down.

Yes but that was in the context of PLX.

Duplex and a different manufacturer.

The discussion is what market Petzl intend to sell 'HCR' to if it's to provide an alternate SCC resistant offering to their 316 grade kit. Sure as sh*t won't be climbers unless distributors are offering lower prices than the USD 36 approx floating around on the web.

There are solid stainless steel products available and Ti if it's pear shaped in places like S.Thailand so introducing SS 926 bolts is an interesting differentiator.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Petzl 'HCR' bolts and pricing"
in the Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors