Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Tallulah Gorge

Original Post
Will Carney · · Tallulah Falls, GA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 135

There will be an open house meeting at my place in Tallulah Falls to discuss a plan commencing dialogue with TGSP regarding climbing access and climber/park relations. Park management has agreed to a discussion so now is the time to take the opportunity to voice your ideas or concerns. The date is Saturday Nov 11. If you cannot attend you are encouraged to send me a private message or email and I will be sure it is addressed at the time of the meet. Please refrain from making public statements that are derogatory or slight the park. The situation is what it is and we are trying very hard to change to that. The park staff is basically climber friendly. Their policies are not. Let's work together to make it better!! You can also reach me by phone or text at 607-282-0417.

Tzilla Rapdrilla · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 845

Will

Best of luck with the meeting and handling the park staff.   Tallulah has unfortunately been over managed by the state park.  It was much better before but may be improved for the future.   Many fond memories there including my first 5.11 lead in 1983.

Tzilla Rapdrilla wrote:

Will

Best of luck with the meeting and handling the park staff.   Tallulah has unfortunately been over managed by the state park.  It was much better before but may be improved for the future.   Many fond memories there including my first 5.11 lead in 1983.

Thanks! I hope it was BT Express. Still the best thing I've done there. 

Tzilla Rapdrilla · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 845

Yep, it was BT Express, a classic for sure

Patrick Wilder · · Birmingham, AL · Joined May 2015 · Points: 10

I recently got to climb at Tallulah for the first time two weeks ago. We went last year to climb but were not given a permit for "icy conditions." Is the main issue just the crazy amount of days where the gorge is closed to climbing? I noticed permits aren't given during water release days and to me it seemed like the peragrine closure was pretty long this summer. 

Patrick Wilder wrote:

to me it seemed like the peragrine closure was pretty long this summer. 

The peregrine closure has come a long way since it's inception. This past season the nesting site was being watched very closely by photographers, tourists, the park biologist, and, of course, members of the Audubon Society. Two days after I noticed the chicks had fledged I confirmed with a local photographer who'd been observing them as well. The Access Fund was made aware of this and they worked with the park to get the closure lifted within the week. I can see the edge of the gorge from my front door so believe me when I say that it "seemed" pretty long for me as well. 

Patrick Wilder wrote:

I recently got to climb at Tallulah for the first time two weeks ago. We went last year to climb but were not given a permit for "icy conditions." Is the main issue just the crazy amount of days where the gorge is closed to climbing?

If there were a "main" issue, yes, this would be it. More days climbing would make everyone happier. 

Jason Eberhard · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 66

Even getting access to the gorge floor has been hard for me.  If it's rained or there is any rain in the forecast they shut it down really quick.  The combination of that and the fact that permits are limited and first come first serve only is annoying to deal with when its a 2  hour drive.  To be fair I don't fault the rangers for doing this.  The ease of getting down into the gorge with the steps leads a lot of people who are not prepared or in shape to believe they're fine down there.  I'd bet they get calls for help as a result.  I would hope that they haven't had similar issues with climbers and with some positive discussion can lead to more climbing there.  Thanks for your efforts

Jason Eberhard wrote:

Even getting access to the gorge floor has been hard for me.  If it's rained or there is any rain in the forecast they shut it down really quick.  The combination of that and the fact that permits are limited and first come first serve only is annoying to deal with when its a 2  hour drive.  To be fair I don't fault the rangers for doing this.  The ease of getting down into the gorge with the steps leads a lot of people who are not prepared or in shape to believe they're fine down there.  I'd bet they get calls for help as a result.  I would hope that they haven't had similar issues with climbers and with some positive discussion can lead to more climbing there.  Thanks for your efforts

Jason, Anytime gorge floor access is restricted, so is climbing. So is hiking the Stoneplace trail and any other "wilderness" permit. It would be great to see a seprarated system for climber registration vs a permit system. A permit gives you permission but also, in a way, is a qualifiaction to participate. Determining whether conditions are correct or participants are up for the task is not in the park's interest imo. It is also well documented that the floor of the gorge and the climbing area are vastly different ecologically speaking(there are several exhibits demonstrating this in the interpretive center at the park) and there are many times when the main face is dry and pleasant while the floor remains damp or even wet. Couple that with the fact there have been zero climber related ems situations in over 6 years VS about 90 annualy from gorge floor hiking. Obviously one could argue that the floor hike has a higher participation rate. One could also argue that it's their policy that is keeping the climber incidents to zero. Thanks for responding. I honestly thought there would be more interest in this. 

Haven't had any response. Anyone planning on coming out for this? 

Chuck Parks · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 2,150

Will,

Don't take a lack of turnout this weekend as a lack of interest in maintaining relations between climbers and the park. The holiday weekend and the fact that we finally got some good fall weather didn't help. Anything I had to say I'm sure you've already heard a dozen times from everyone else. So driving 2 hours to preach to the choir lost out to a day of sin and debauchery at T-Wall.

Chuck Parks wrote:

Will,

Don't take a lack of turnout this weekend as a lack of interest in maintaining relations between climbers and the park. The holiday weekend and the fact that we finally got some good fall weather didn't help. Anything I had to say I'm sure you've already heard a dozen times from everyone else. So driving 2 hours to preach to the choir lost out to a day of sin and debauchery at T-Wall.

What we lacked in numbers, we made up for in quality. Was a great discussion and now it's time to move to the next step....actual dialogue with the park service. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Tallulah Gorge "