Mountain Project Logo

Fabric to make outdoor/Poly clothing?

Original Post
Brittany Drew · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Hiya! 

I've been wanting to craft some of my own clothing for adventures. The thing is I wanted to try and make it out of Poly or other durable fabric that REI or other brands would use. The main raw material I can find seems to be in primary colors and doesn't have the same feel. 

Does anyone know resources to find fabric fitting to the type?

Thanks so much!

brian n · · Manchester, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 87

I've purchased pack cloth, the kind used in backpacks, and colored velcro from this place. They seem to have a good selection of stuff and may have what you need or want.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/

Brittany Drew · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Seems like an awesome resource! Thanks so much! 

By chance to you know what they would consider the material most puffy's are made out of? That's first on my project list, fixing a hole in an awesome Garage Sale find. =)

brian n · · Manchester, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 87
Brittany Drew wrote:

By chance to you know what they would consider the material most puffy's are made out of?

Probably ripstop nylon or polyester ?

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,800

I don't think you're going to be able to buy state-of-the-art fabrics like sub-ounce Pertex, Scholler, or DWR-treated softshell (like OR's Ferrosi) in small retail quantities. They seem to be (often, not always) specific to a single line of clothing. Good luck!

Wes C · · Cleveland, oh · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 136

I've just begun researching dome MYOG projects and this seems to be a good and highly recommended site https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/downproof-nylon-fabric-1/products/1-0-oz-hyperd-diamond-ripstop-nylon#judgeme_product_reviews

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Community Forum
Post a Reply to "Fabric to make outdoor/Poly clothing?"