Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Smugglers Notch Triathalon

Original Post
Adam Gellman · · Jersey City/Burlington VT · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 165

Recently watched the Video of Anton Krupicka with the Longs peak Triathlon and I've been kinda inspired to try a version of that, possibly starting in Burlington Vermont. Does anyone know if a version of this has ever been done around here or have ideas of how one could be done? Could there/ is there something similar in the Adirondacks or the white mountains? Vaguely thought of biking to smugglers notch resort, running to the base of Quartz Crack, climbing the 3 pitch route and going back to Burlington self supported. Anyone have any ideas, info or want to try it?

Andrew Blease · · Bartlett, NH · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 480

You should stop the biking at Smuggs then run up to Sterling Pond, back down into the Notch, then climb. If you time it right it could be a winter adventure with skiing and ice climbing!

Andrew Blease · · Bartlett, NH · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 480

And I would happily participate in such things. 

Andrew Blease wrote:

You should stop the biking at Smuggs then run up to Sterling Pond, back down into the Notch, then climb. If you time it right it could be a winter adventure with skiing and ice climbing!

I was thinking about sterling pond (hiked it yesterday) but it seemed like it might be a little bit out of the way. definitely down to try it that way.  I would also be down for winter a couple seasons from now but I still need to learn to ice climb and backcountry ski, plus biking in the winter could be problematic. Lots of possibilities here!

Ira O · · Hardwick, VT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 61

Sounds cool. It could have a summer and a winter version. But i think it would be better if you biked from some place other than Burlington, to avoid traffic... a place like Hardwick for example. You coukd bike to smugglers notch resort, then hike /run up the ski trails to sterling pond, run down to the notch, climb quartz crack (or flight of the manatee with the diagonal right finish.)..rap down,  then run back to bike. It woukd be really cool actually, after the climb, to bushwack over to the top of hellbrook trail ( not sure how sketchy that would be, but there was a hiking trail in that area,way back) run the ridge of mansfield, run down and miraculously have your bike waiting there for you...

Ira O · · Hardwick, VT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 61

For other cool races, check outmetallakrace.com and Google 

The Endurance Society, and 

Native Endurance. 

They all out on some cool races although nothing involving climbing. 

Ira O wrote:

Sounds cool. It could have a summer and a winter version. But i think it would be better if you biked from some place other than Burlington, to avoid traffic... a place like Hardwick for example. You coukd bike to smugglers notch resort, then hike /run up the ski trails to sterling pond, run down to the notch, climb quartz crack (or flight of the manatee with the diagonal right finish.)..rap down,  then run back to bike. It woukd be really cool actually, after the climb, to bushwack over to the top of hellbrook trail ( not sure how sketchy that would be, but there was a hiking trail in that area,way back) run the ridge of mansfield, run down and miraculously have your bike waiting there for you...

Part of the appeal for me would be doing it from the area I'm living but that's a good point about traffic. I like the idea of running up a ski trail and then down to the notch because it technically could be on the way not just an out and back. I  thought of trying to incorporate Mansfield but I think the trail/bushwhacking would be pretty brutal.  Definitely a few possibilities for this one, more in the winter!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Smugglers Notch Triathalon"