Mountain Project Logo

My area disappeared!

Original Post
Alex McKenzie · · Nevada city, California · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 816

I had created an area (Mineral Bar) in I-80 corridor. Not long after, it was moved. Then, a few sub-areas were removed. Then, it was completely removed! Please Help!

Now even more of my areas disappeared! WHAT IS HAPPENING?

Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

I noticed Central Sierra is completely missing now and things moved around as well. No comment from Mods in the site discussion forum.

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/113710723/was-the-central-sierra-category-removed

JFM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,818

Alex, I have looked at some of your submissions (that are still present) -- lots of "non-information" or vague descriptions in there, as well as submissions of things you haven't climbed or haven't completed -- perhaps the area admins felt the content wasn't up to whatever "quality standards" are in place -- also, it is generally accepted that users have climbed the route before submitting (especially!! if claiming FA). A good route description is difficult to write without firsthand knowledge. Another thought: if you haven't done due diligence insofar as finding out about the history of the area you are climbing in, you may be submitting information that some folks would rather not have made public -- and in a well-traveled area, it is unlikely that you are the FA in any event. Maybe none of these are the "true" reason your areas / routes have been moved or taken down (I'm not an Admin & don't know). Good luck out there.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Alex,

PM the admins for the area(s) in question. Go right to the horse's mouth, so to speak. The general population of MP isn't going to know why they were deleted.

I got a message from Nick. I found out why they were removed. I am probably going o put them back up when I can provide specific information.

M. Morley · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 6,585

Alex, I deleted your submissions. It sounds like you are pretty new to climbing (<1 year), but are enthusiastic about getting out there and getting after it! Plus, you are only 14 years old, which is rad! My friends Lisa and Andy took a teenager climbing many years ago who ended up doing pretty well for himself as a climber. His name is Chris Sharma. Who knows, maybe you'll end up being the next Sharma! In any event, some general guidelines as to user-submitted content:

- content needs to be specific enough that one can locate the area with the given directions. Vague descriptions aren't particularly helpful.
- assuming "first ascents" and giving names to boulders that have literally been climbed for decades is considered poor form (example: Easier Than it Looks Crack)
- certain areas are "sensitive" in terms of access and should not be posted on the Internet.
- it is generally considered poor form to post routes/boulders that you have not personally climbed.
- it is generally considered poor form to post ratings of routes/boulders you have not personally climbed.

Hope this helps!

M. Morley wrote:

Alex, I deleted your submissions. It sounds like you are pretty new to climbing (<1 year), but are enthusiastic about getting out there and getting after it! Plus, you are only 14 years old, which is rad! My friends Lisa and Andy took a teenager climbing many years ago who ended up doing pretty well for himself as a climber. His name is Chris Sharma. Who knows, maybe you'll end up being the next Sharma! In any event, some general guidelines as to user-submitted content:

- content needs to be specific enough that one can locate the area with the given directions. Vague descriptions aren't particularly helpful.
- assuming "first ascents" and giving names to boulders that have literally been climbed for decades is considered poor form (example: Easier Than it Looks Crack)
- certain areas are "sensitive" in terms of access and should not be posted on the Internet.
- it is generally considered poor form to post routes/boulders that you have not personally climbed.
- it is generally considered poor form to post ratings of routes/boulders you have not personally climbed.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, sorry. I didn't know Easier Than it looks crack was like that, I did see a picture of it a few days after I climbed it, though. I should've changed it then. But could you possibly put mineral Bar back up? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply