Mountain Project Logo

Another Climber falls to their death on the First Flatiron. 2nd fatality this year

Original Post
trice Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_31403637/boulder-flatirons-climber-fall

Remains to be seen if he/she was actually a climber or was a hiker who became ambitious. Regardless it sucks and is a continuation of a trend this year in CO of people falling to their death on classic climbs/scrambles

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 871

This is very unfortunate.  The temp dropped abruptly and rain snow mix began falling around the time of the accident.  

Stephen Felker · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 470

So sad. And terrifying to think about.  With warm rock and cold air, verglass probably formed very quickly up there today.  Conditions weren’t exactly a surprise though.

John RB · · Superior, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 30

I predict a permit system is coming if this keeps up.  I don't think OSMP would ban climbing entirely, but they're bound to feel some kind of burden to limit climbing to more experienced people (even if it's a rubber stamp like GotG has).

Waiting to hear the name of this person... kind of selfish, but I hope it's not someone I know. :(

Sucks.

Erik Dutilly 1 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

I was up there with a friend at the time of the fall. We had just finished our scramble and heard him fall. We rushed up immediately to the base of the first and the flatironette. We didn't know where he had fallen because we had already descended to the bluebell trail where it interests the trail up to the First. 

After not finding anything, two trail crew members walked down the trail between the first and second. With their heads hung low and in quiet voices, they told us the climber had died. Evidently he was found at the base of Fandango. 

It's impossible to say definitively why he fell. But because it is critical to learn from the errors of our ways, I strongly suspect wet rock had a role to play. Snow was melting as it touched warmish rock. The flatirons were wet at the time of his fall. And I wouldn't have considered ascending any route under those conditions. 

Please be kind. It is a sad morning for his friends and family. Be safe. Climb cautiously. Make good choices. 

Air Alexy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2010 · Points: 30

Have they still not released anymore information about this, e.g., Climber's name, circumstances, etc.? I'm sure I'm not the only one a little anxious about finding out. 

Air Alexy wrote:

Have they still not released anymore information about this, e.g., Climber's name, circumstances, etc.? I'm sure I'm not the only one a little anxious about finding out. 

You are not the only one. It always feels so awkward trying to find this information out after a tragic accident, but everyone is feeling the same anxiety if he/she knows the person involved. It is tragic whether I know them or not but I think everyone has that feeling

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

They won't release the name until the person's family has been notified, and rightly so. Sometimes that takes a little time. 

Lauren · · Broomfield · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_31408917  Here is an update from the Daily Camera. 

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

Hey everyone,

I put up a temporary memorial this morning for Erik Kleiber, the climber who fell last week on the first flatiron. 

I didn't actually personally know Erik, but after posting the daily camera article on several forums I was contacted by his best friend and family by proxy. He was searching for answers (to which I had none) and I asked if there was any other way I could help him or Erik's family. I had previously summited the first after HK's memorial was placed there, and thought that it was a touching tribute and a way that climbers could share their thoughts with his friends and family. The idea came around and after finding out a little more about Erik I put together a few things and a small notebook that people could sign if they wish. His parents seemed pretty touched by the idea.

This is meant to be a VERY temporary tribute, as I am planning on taking it down on Sunday afternoon when the weather is set to turn bad again. Please share any thoughts or well wishes for his friends and family if you would like to. My current plan is to send the book to his family before his funeral service on 11.11.17.

I didn't actually know that HK's memorial was still up there, but please don't view this as trying to take anything away from that. That was not my intention at all. Honestly with the tribute to the young climber who died earlier this year at the base, HK's tribute at the summit, and now this small tribute to Erik, the first is becoming a bit of a memorial. 

I am unsure if anyone here knew Erik, but by all accounts we likely would have gotten along with him pretty well. Here is a link to his obituary where his family asks to donate to RMRG in his honor which is pretty rad. https://obittree.com/obituary/us/colorado/boulder/greenwood--myers-mortuary/erik-kleiber/3262180/ 

I hope this doesn't offend anyone here or in the climbing community at large, it is a pretty unobtrusive way to pay respect to someone who died doing what we all love. 

-Taylor

Charmaine Kleiber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Thank you for the tribute to Erik and the kind comments.  We miss him terribly and will always think of him when we see the first Flatiron. Charmaine Kleiber

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Another Climber falls to their death on the Fir…"
in the Colorado