COVID-19 Update: At REI, we encourage you to get outside responsibly. Stay local, avoid recreational travel,
practice social distancing and check ahead for area and facility closures. Learn More
Mountain Project Logo

Harness Sex

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75
John Greer Jr. wrote:

i agree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4g4wKc_xgU

I was waiting for this...

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 130

YER GUNNA DIE

S2k 4life · · Rocks st. Park · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 126

Wtf

eli poss · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2014 · Points: 523

As long as you don't jizz on it. 

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35
s.price wrote:

A few years back my brother sent me a video of a couple having sex while hanging off a cliff. It was my birthday card.

I have yet to talk the wife into trying it out.

Was it in German, riding a 4 wheeler that ran out of gas. They then rapped off a cliff and fucked. Ii tried to start a rumor that the Huber brothers did the rigging for it. 

falling monkey · · The West · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 30

Dude, if you give her a men's harness she will die for sure. The fibers in the harness will have a bad reaction to the estrogen. Then you have nobody to have sex with. It's the same thing with men eating Luna bars...you just don't do it.

S2k 4life · · Rocks st. Park · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 126

Plus that men's harness could really disrupt your girls sexy hourglass figure that u so desire

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5
Forrest Carver wrote:

How important is it to use the right sex'd harness?

I'd like to give my wife my old harness and get a new one, however she has an extreme hourglass body type and I still want it to be safe and comfortable. 

She will probably only be belaying with it. Maybe the odd toprope if I'm lucky.

It's important for the harness to fit well. Maybe it does, but I'd guess that's unlikely if she has an "extreme hourglass" shape and you're talking about a men's harness. Women's harnesses have a smaller waist to leg loop ratio, and a longer rise. Chances are good that either the waist or the leg loops (or maybe neither) will fit her well, but not both. There is no men's harness that cinches down on my waist enough to be safe while also fitting my legs with enough tail to be safe. Even in women's I need a split sizing (thanks Misty Mountain!!), XS waist with S legs. The shorter rise will also tend to keep the waist belt lower around her hips (which might give the illusion it's the right size) but it really should be above her hips. 

Even if it did fit, why are you getting a new one? Is it worn out, not that comfy? If you're hoping for her to be happy to belay you, and enjoy trying out climbing herself, she'll enjoy it more in a well-fitting comfortable harness, just like you do. Ask her to pick out something that fits and works for her! Or if you can't afford two new harnesses, get one that fits her and keep wearing yours, which is your size, and still safe to use. 

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 187
Em Cos wrote:

It's important for the harness to fit well. Maybe it does, but I'd guess that's unlikely if she has an "extreme hourglass" shape and you're talking about a men's harness. Women's harnesses have a smaller waist to leg loop ratio, and a longer rise. Chances are good that either the waist or the leg loops (or maybe neither) will fit her well, but not both. There is no men's harness that cinches down on my waist enough to be safe while also fitting my legs with enough tail to be safe. Even in women's I need a split sizing (thanks Misty Mountain!!), XS waist with S legs. The shorter rise will also tend to keep the waist belt lower around her hips (which might give the illusion it's the right size) but it really should be above her hips. 

Even if it did fit, why are you getting a new one? Is it worn out, not that comfy? If you're hoping for her to be happy to belay you, and enjoy trying out climbing herself, she'll enjoy it more in a well-fitting comfortable harness, just like you do. Ask her to pick out something that fits and works for her! Or if you can't afford two new harnesses, get one that fits her and keep wearing yours, which is your size, and still safe to use. 

leg loop sizing is not a safety issue. swami belts are a thing

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5
Jon Frisby wrote:

leg loop sizing is not a safety issue. swami belts are a thing

Well if you're happy with a swami, this whole discussion about harness fit is irrelevant. The fact that he asked about harness fit leads me to believe he's interested in a harness, not a swami. And I'll reiterate, she'll be happier and more comfortable in a properly fitting harness. 

Also, something being "a thing" does not mean it is equally as safe as any other option. I know of at least one death that occurred because the climber was wearing a swami only with no leg loops. 

Brandon.Phillips · · Portola, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

I'm currently breeding Metolius safe techs with various big wall harnesses. Hoping to get a quad belay loop.

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 187
Em Cos wrote:

Well if you're happy with a swami, this whole discussion about harness fit is irrelevant. The fact that he asked about harness fit leads me to believe he's interested in a harness, not a swami. And I'll reiterate, she'll be happier and more comfortable in a properly fitting harness. 

Also, something being "a thing" does not mean it is equally as safe as any other option. I know of at least one death that occurred because the climber was wearing a swami only with no leg loops. 

were they belaying or TRing? Because the OP asked specifically about that and prob isn't gonna run out and drop $80 so that she's a little more comfy. While your advice is good if she's actually going to climb a lot, buying gear in the hopes someone will get into it seems like the cart before the horse.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,275

OP? Go to a gym, rent a harness for you, let her use yours for the evening. Look at how it fits, see if she's comfy, especially if you outweigh her by much. Sheesh.

Could affect the harness sex thing prospects, so worth the effort, I would think. YMMV

Best, OLH

Марина Пейогло · · Кишинёв · Joined 2 days ago · Points: 0

I am facing now the same problems with my wife.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,275
Марина Пейогло wrote: I am facing now the same problems with my wife.

Ah c'mon, at least provide a dubious link to something

Chris Cragsocks · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 25

How many of you clicked on this back in 2017 and were disappointed only to click on this again in 2020?

Robert S · · Driftwood, TX · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 407
Марина Пейогло wrote: I am facing now the same problems with my wife.

If you're gonna sign up just to troll, you can do better than bump a three-year-old thread.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,703
Chris Cragsocks wrote: How many of you clicked on this back in 2017 and were disappointed only to click on this again in 2020?

All of us.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Harness Sex"