Mountain Project Logo

Want to build a hangboard setup for my college gym

Original Post
Sam H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

My college gym has a really nice functional training setup with two bars about six inches away from each other. I'd like to hang a hangboard from the top bar and brace it against the lower bar like they have at some climbing gyms. Any thoughts on where I could get the equipment to make this happen?

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 20

You should be good to just go to Home Depot and get a couple of steel brackets that you can bolt to the back of the hangboard and hang on the bar. Just get something that is as close to the size of the bar as you can so that it doesn't move. screw some wood onto the lower portion so that it buts against the lower bar so that your hangboard is at a perfect 90 deg. angle. 

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 294

Disclaimer: I'm not a handy person, I can't build anything to save my life. But the first idea that came to my head is to cut a piece of 3/4 inch plywood to the width of the board, and the height to over lap both the top and bottom bars. Mount the hangboard to this plywood, and put steel brackets on the back of the plywood to clip on to both the top and lower bars.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Want to build a hangboard setup for my college gym"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion