Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

You know you are really over the hill when...


Original Post
Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 579

You- 

1  have almost 3000 posts on MP.

2  spend a lot of time "improving" anchors.

3 do more trail days then climbing days.

4 mentor younger climbers too often to try anything hard.

5 get called "sir" in the weight room.

6 argue ethics from 40 years ago.

7 have a few 'hard' climbs ruthlessly wired but haven't done a new route in years.


Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,800

Oh snap!

Keatan · · AZ · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 50

8 post on Supertopo

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

9. Don't mind that much when your partner bails because you really could use the rest.

Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Robert Michael wrote:

9. Don't mind that much when your partner bails because you really could use the rest.

Lol I'm only 32 and that's how I felt Sunday morning.  Was supposed to go do some trad after having done some already on Saturday.  Partner ended up staying up late with her BF.  Probably for the best as I had a sore throat all weekend and it seems to have progressed into a full blown sinus infection today so if I had gone out yesterday I might be in even worse shape today.

Jeremy B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0
Christopher Smith wrote:

Probably for the best as I had a sore throat all weekend and it seems to have progressed into a full blown sinus infection today so if I had gone out yesterday I might be in even worse shape today.

Aw crap, thanks for reminding me I missed getting a flu shot today.  Too many people getting sick around here already....

CrimpDaddy-WesP · · Bowling green Kentuckee · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 375

10. Post about being old on Mountain Project

david goldstein · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 2,531

11. Can no longer lead your old warm-ups or solos.

M Hanna · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 5

Ha ha great stuff-

I took a small fall on a nice .10a route (I put up a decade ago), and rather than just whoopin, I were done be skeeeert and fell and held on bicep tendon leaving it well....


mostly detached. A yearand change later after surgery, good to go! There’s my post on the Proj!


  1. Not 20,30, or even 40
s.price · · the deck of Rover or Pagosa… · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,346

You use a chalk bag older than most climbers you meet.

You treasure your EB's enough to resole them just to see how they climb with good rubber. 



aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 294

12. Thinks hip belay is better than any belay device. (And post the same old picture of hip belaying a toprope)

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

13. After climbing three single-pitch climbs, you question whether you really need to do a fourth. Naw, I'm good.

14. You look forward to the dinner or lunch afterward, more than the climbing.

s.price · · the deck of Rover or Pagosa… · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,346

Naw, I'm good. I resemble that remark :)

Lee Green · · Edmonton, Alberta · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 50

Before climbing a route you have to figure out what moves it will require, then hold a town meeting with both your knees, both shoulders, one ankle, and one elbow about whether they're going to do that.

KevinCO · · Loveland, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 60

15. When you go back to your old favorite climbs, you are onsighting.

s.price · · the deck of Rover or Pagosa… · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,346

when the only time you climb anything with an R rating anymore it involves getting out of bed.

Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Jeremy B. wrote:

Aw crap, thanks for reminding me I missed getting a flu shot today.  Too many people getting sick around here already....

Flu shots are nigh useless.  They tend to have a TERRIBLE track record at picking the right flu strain to make a vaccine for so it won't protect you from on average about 2/3s of the types of flu you come in contact with (at best).  They also have a tendency to give you that exact strain of the flu too.  I haven't had a flu shot in probably over 2 decades and I've literally had the flu 3 times in that span of time and it lasts all of 2 days at the most.  I just make sure to slam the Vit C/D, eat some tomato soup and bundle up under the covers the sweat it out.

M Hanna · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 5

I frequently use a hip belay on stuff 5.8 and under


Guilty

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,673
Christopher Smith wrote:

Flu shots are nigh useless.  They tend to have a TERRIBLE track record at picking the right flu strain to make a vaccine for so it won't protect you from on average about 2/3s of the types of flu you come in contact with (at best).  They also have a tendency to give you that exact strain of the flu too.  I haven't had a flu shot in probably over 2 decades and I've literally had the flu 3 times in that span of time and it lasts all of 2 days at the most.  I just make sure to slam the Vit C/D, eat some tomato soup and bundle up under the covers the sweat it out.

Wow, thread drift much? Every year, 5-20% of people get the flu, and you're at 15%. So, I guess, congrats on meeting your quota?

IcePick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 100

When you still use the small end of your 8 to belay with...

Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, Spain · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

You find yourself admiring the stuff on display in the “gear museum” at the local climbing gym (or at Neptune’s in Boulder) and realize you have used most of it BITD and even still have some of it at the bottom of your own gear bin...ah, $2.10 Eiger ovals!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "You know you are really over the hill when..."

Log In to Reply