Mountain Project Logo

Hans Florine & Alex Honnold's El Cap speed record on The Nose has been beaten?!!!

Original Post
Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45

From Adventure Sports Journal...

https://www.facebook.com/ASJmag/posts/10155522653523564

Brad Gobright and Jim Reynolds did it in 2 hours, 19 minutes, and 44 seconds.  They shaved 4 minutes and 2 seconds off of Hans and Alex's record.

WOW! 

And I have never even heard of these 2 guys.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

They held the record before Honnold took it. 

Xam · · Boulder, Co · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 73

You might find it interesting that brag g recently posted in the 'Speed climbing is stupid and dangerous' thread:

I've been really into speed climbing in the last couple of years. It provides a fresh challenge for when I temporarily burnt out on chasing higher grades and no one has their ruler out when you're having friendly competition with close friends. Also, climbing quicker means more climbing! I won't argue with it being dangerous but so is commenting on a mp forum in the early morning when I'm taking a rest day. 

Brad g also has the speed record on the naked edge,  I believe.

Royal · · Santa Rosa, CA · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 405

Brad is a badass. A few years ago he topped out on epi right after I did - something like 55 min if I remember correctly. He said it was 'cardio'

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125

John Wilder wrote:

They held the record before Honnold took it. 

??? That may become true @ some point in the future but this is the first time Brad & Jim (collectively or with other partners) have ever held the nose speed record.

As for Brad being little known, well, he won't be after this year's Reel Rock showings.

IcePick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 100
Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45

D'oh!

I posted - and searched - in the wrong forum!

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

reboot wrote:

??? That may become true @ some point in the future but this is the first time Brad & Jim (collectively or with other partners) have ever held the nose speed record.

As for Brad being little known, well, he won't be after this year's Reel Rock showings.

Woops, I read the chart wrong. Their time earlier this week was 2:34, thought it was a previous run to Honnolds. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Hans Florine & Alex Honnold's El Cap speed reco…"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion