Mountain Project Logo

Long term Barcelona partner(s)?

Original Post
Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

We just moved to BCN from Boulder, CO (my wife is originally from here and has family in the city) and will be here for the foreseeable future. Yeah, I know, from one divided country to another. Anyway, I am hoping I can find someone, or a small group of friendly folks to climb with in the Barcelona area (We live near the Hospital Clinic Metro stop). I'd love to find a mentor who knows the area and climbs slightly harder than me so I can follow and learn, as well as find someone who doesn't climb quite as hard so I can do most of the leading--kind of the setup I had in Colorado. I like safe, attentive belays (don't we all???) and am open to critique if there is something you don't like.  We don't have a car but I am more than willing to pay gas, tolls, buy lunch, use my rack/ropes, meet wherever, etc. to make up for it. I come from a trad background (and have a mostly triple rack, including some bigger cams) and would like to keep that up while here in the land of Dura Dura, but I like it all--trad, sport, gym, multi-pitch, single-pitch, whatever. (Well, bouldering, not so much--I'm too old to be jumping down all the time.) I am pretty much retired at this point so I have a very flexible schedule and would love to get out 3-5 days a week to keep that learning curve going up until the aging process turns it downward for good. Oh, and I speak Spanish and am starting to learn Catala, if that makes any difference. See my profile for more details. Thanks!

Bump to stir the pot again.

Bump for update. I have found a great local partner in Xavier Coll, who has commented here on MP on other Barcelona topics, but I'd sure like to find at least one or two more partners, so I can get out a bit more often.

CathyO · · Catalonia · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Lots of Spaniards use Whatsapp groups to find climbing partners. Are you part of the Escalada en Barcelona Facebook group? That's pretty active. Also try looking / posting on the Busco Gente forum of Madteam.net. And to find Brits based in Barcelona, try posting on the UKClimbing.com forums. 

CathyO · · Catalonia · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

I live in Andorra, so not nearby. But I climb actively, including during the week at times. I've lived here a long time and I know a lot of the interesting sport and multi-pitch areas north of Barcelona well. You'd need access to a car but if you want to do some longer routes closer to the Pyrenees, get in touch. 

Thanks for the great suggestions, CathyO. I will check out those places. I’m not sure when I’ll get to Andorra, but I’ll keep you in mind if I do. Thanks!

Isaac Manobla · · South Fork, CO · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Hey! I am originally from Evergreen, CO but live near the southern San Juans now. Heading to Spain in December for a bicycle tour and trying to climb in January somewhere outside Catalonia. Small world of Coloradans but would be nice to have a climbing partner for the 10-15 days Ill be out there! 

Isaac, as far as I know, I should be around in December in Barcelona. Keep my cell phone number handy: 34 country code, then six-eight-two, eight-seven,nine-six,eight-four. I have pretty much all the gear and ropes we need, but no car. I am slowly getting plugged in with a few locals, though, so we should be able to work something out. Dan

Isaac Manobla · · South Fork, CO · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Sounds good Dan, hope to meet up and climb!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Extended Trips and International Partners
Post a Reply to "Long term Barcelona partner(s)?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started