Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Best campsite near moab?

Original Post
Sean P. Sullivan · · Clovis, Ca · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 275

Free, pay, whatever. Im curious if anyone is willing to share a favorite spot. Im partial to a nice view, i dont mind driving up to 45 minutes from town, i have 4x4 and clearance. Any suggestions would be treasured. 

Sam Thurman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Here is my personal favorite; http://www.outdoorsinutah.com/kanecreek-camping.htm The further up the canyon you go the less people there are, but there are also wonderful spots less than 5 miles in.

Kyle Taylor · · Atlanta Ga · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I've stayed at slick rock. I really liked it a bunch. Watch for flash floods if rain is in the forecast.

Josh Cameron · · California · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,120

As far as pay sites go, Goose Island is nice (10 minutes from town). If you don't mind hillbilly atv'ers then the Ken's Lake BLM campsite is nice (and about 15 minutes from town). As far as free sites go: check out the North Klondike area (20 to 30 minutes north of town and once the mtb bikers go home you have it all to yourself). Or drive up the La Sal Road from Ken's Lake. After the first big switchback, there's plenty of free camping just off the road or hidden in the trees (great views and about 20ish minutes from town). Car camping at the trailhead for Professor Creek is another good option and is maybe 30 minutes from town. Onion Creek (the cg across the road from Fisher Towers) is particularly nice and exactly 45 minutes from town. Or just drive down any dirt road till you find something that suits your fancy. And then there's the secret spots that are mine and mine only.

Thanks everyone! Solid tips  

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Josh Cameron wrote:

Or just drive down any dirt road till you find something that suits your fancy.

Legality will depend on exactly which dirt road and where. Unlike most BLM land, the areas immediately around Moab do not allow dispersed camping.

Study this:

Matt Castelli · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 205

Castleton

Adam Password · · Timbuktu · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Literally just got back from Moab. Didn’t pay for camping the entire 10 days. That’s a win in my book. Long canyon, Kane creek, equestrian trails, I would suggest castleton the main parking area but don’t go back on the trails as it’s hunting season and you’ll be woken up with gunshots. Pretty much any back road. Were they legal to camp? nope. But just be smart about it and clean up after yourself and pay attention to disturbing the soil. Don’t listen to negative people about back country camping. They are just pissed because they paid for camping. I had the same concerns going there and was met with the same negative attitude. Be nice and use your brain and have fun climbing! 

Josh Cameron · · California · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,120

Not sure why everyone is getting their panty's in a knot regarding camping for free. My view is that only a schmuck pays for a campsite outside of a national park (and even then, even then). The best campsites I've ever been to were all free. Who wants to sit on a natty public toilet in the morning, listening to some lazy redneck's generator going at 7am, instead when one can drop trou and feel the wind on their bare ass in complete silence. Yes, we need to be conscientious and practice LNT and low-impact camping. I thought the free camping areas around Moab were obvious, but apparently not so. The best campsites require creative imaginative thought, but apparently this is a rare bird amongst the climbing community. Surfers are much more creative and fun. 

S2k4life wrote:

Just bc one person cheats the system doesnt mean everyone should, and it especially doesn't mean they should tell people to do it. That's jist bad ethics and moral.

Now if someone wants to go ahead and illegally camp, that's your poragative but shows the type of person they are by bragging about it and promoting it lol

We all push the system until it pushes back just like staying in a park past sunset, no big deal right, until you get talked to the ranger about it then I'm the lame one telling people hey guys park closes at sunset 

laws have been put into place, like bring your own firewood in bc ex, some ppl who don't care burned all the local wood or used all the toilet paper or littered etc 

If everyone just did whatever they wanted all the time and ignored rules wouldn't this be a more rundown shitty country to live in?

People do as people do regardless of the rules or don’t you read the papers? You don’t know me nor do I know you so don’t assume things you don’t know. On a side note. I don’t do campfires. I think they are useless unless you’re actually using them to cook on. I use wag bags and don’t go romping about on trackless soil. Again, to the original poster. Do not be deterred by negative people. Literally never had a negative thing said by anyone there or in Indian backcountry camping out of the truck. Then again I didn’t set up anything that couldn’t be moved in less than 5 mins, set up around 8 every night and left by 7 every morning. Don’t be stupid man and you’ll be good to go. We set ourselves up for camping closest to where we’d be climbing for the day and we were never more than a 10 min drive away from where we camped and a couple times we never had to leave. 

Adam Orton wrote:

People do as people do regardless of the rules or don’t you read the papers? You don’t know me nor do I know you so don’t assume things you don’t know. On a side note. I don’t do campfires. I think they are useless unless you’re actually using them to cook on. I use wag bags and don’t go romping about on trackless soil. Again, to the original poster. Do not be deterred by negative people. Literally never had a negative thing said by anyone there or in Indian backcountry camping out of the truck. Then again I didn’t set up anything that couldn’t be moved in less than 5 mins, set up around 8 every night and left by 7 every morning. Don’t be stupid man and you’ll be good to go. We set ourselves up for camping closest to where we’d be climbing for the day and we were never more than a 10 min drive away from where we camped and a couple times we never had to leave. 

1. I'm in the same situation. Back of the truck, nothing outside the truck, easy to move. I agree with both sides of this. I've seen what douchebag boondockers do to blm land with their campers shit. I've also camped at some of the most beautiful places, for free. The land is set aside for that, use it!!! Oh and I guess it's a fact, surfers have better imaginations then climbers, they're also more creative and have more fun. Mind blown. Thanks for the wisdom bro. 
S2k4life wrote:

Get away with what you can just don't be a negative person by illegally camping then get on the internet and brag about it and tell other people to do it, all you hippie wanna be boarders that surf prolly can't make a concrete turn or pow slash hahaha  

That's my opinion 

If your opinion is screw the system,  camp illegal everywhere you can f@<% pay rates then by all means , have fun , enjoy , don't cry when you get a ticket

I’m still confused as to where the bragging was going on at. Care to elaborate kind sir? 

Rob T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 10

And a bunch of the places mentioned (Longs, Kane) used to have sanctioned free camping, then too many “free spirits” abused it. 

By spraying about it on a public forum, you’re just giving the county more ammo to use increased enforcement as a way to fill coffers. 

Thanks for your contributions to our beautiful state. 

gspup · · Sweet Ridge, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 5
S2k4life wrote:

I think some ? people? Would consider this bragging to a degree

That's not bragging. It's so easy to camp for free in Moab it's amazing people even ask here. For real though. 

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Hey lets keep secret Moab camping spots low-key. Private messages if youre going to share a good one please. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
gspup wrote:

That's not bragging. It's so easy to camp for free in Moab it's amazing people even ask here. For real though. 

Well, if you're camping in a tent and not inside a truck or van, would you leave your camp set up in one of the free areas and expect to find your stuff when you come back from a day of climbing?  And consider that the OP asked for the "best" campsite - ideally with a view - and not necessarily a free campsite.

S2k4life wrote:

Lol now your bragging , for real tho tell us then and put some information up instead of your opinion how easy it is and why would someone ask for real tho

The guy you quoted me from admitted in his thread to camping illegally and was clearly ranting about it and telling others don't wry you can do it.

It’s really not bragging. Anyone with a few brain cells and knowledge of BLM and FS rules should have no problem camping for free out west. 

S2k4life, here you go : find dirt road on BLM land, drive, camp anywhere you’d like. Be respectful to the land and all is good. 

Marc801 Chrusch wrote:

Well, if you're camping in a tent and not inside a truck or van, would you leave your camp set up in one of the free areas and expect to find your stuff when you come back from a day of climbing?  And consider that the OP asked for the "best" campsite - ideally with a view - and not necessarily a free campsite.

I leave my camp setup always, never had anything stolen yet. The best camp sites with views are always the free spots coincidentally enough. 

I’m not going to spray my favorite spots to Moab noobs. 

S2k4life wrote:

Lol now your bragging , for real tho tell us then and put some information up instead of your opinion how easy it is and why would someone ask for real tho

The guy you quoted me from admitted in his thread to camping illegally and was clearly ranting about it and telling others don't wry you can do it.

You’re a real piece of work aren’t you? You’re damn right I admitted to it. I wouldn’t knowingly lead others into doing something like that without giving them a heads up. Your definition of bragging is so skewed. Its almost as skewed as your moral compass, frankly I’m surprised you know where you parked your car. 

S2k4life wrote:

Yea noobs don't use the internet ,but you could just move a couple 100 yards further down, as long as your on a dirt road , just keep leaving your site setup and leave your climbing gear sitting out too along with your food 

Ok, this doesn't make much sense for a few reasons. Mainly, why would I leave my climbing gear sitting out at camp while I'm climbing ? SMH

S2k4life wrote:

Ok sounds good man. Happy climbing

About time you said something positive. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Best campsite near moab?"
in the General Climbing