Mountain Project Logo

Climbing VS. other sports/activities

Hank Caylor · · Glenwood Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 615

Yes, BASE jumpers are also communicating in a funny and different way. 

"Fortunate people seldom mend their ways, for when good luck crowns their misdeeds with success they think it is because they are right."
~François de La Rochefoucauld

BTW, this jumper actually walked away and was jumping again the next day, so y'all know.

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 275
Hank Caylor wrote:

Yes, BASE jumpers are also communicating in a funny and different way. 

BTW, this jumper actually walked away and was jumping again the next day, so y'all know.

Did the person in the office at least offer them a cup of coffee? Since they put so much effort into dropping in? Seems the least one could do....

Best, OLH

Ron Bull · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

When I was climbing the only one you were competing against was yourself.

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348

Very telling that everyone on this thread that says a 5.10 climbers opinion is not as valid as one who clips bolts at a higher level is hiding behind a fake name. Buncha punters.

ViperScale · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 235

People who are climbing a 5.12 where every bolt is 5 ft apart have options that don't matter. Climbing 5.10 with 50ft + runout and now you can talk!

Senior Hernandez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 15

Just having a conversation dude, no need for personal attacks. If you don’t recognize the pic that’s not my fault. 

Sport Climbing starts at 5.12C right? So in relation to having an informed Opinion on sport climbing, wouldn’t you at least need to have been on one at least once in your life? It’s not really that much of a task. It seems like there are rules like this in pretty much all the styles of climbing, Except on the internet.

Beean · · Canmore, AB · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
Senior Hernandez wrote:

Just having a conversation dude, no need for personal attacks. If you don’t recognize the pic that’s not my fault. 

Sport Climbing starts at 5.12C right? So in relation to having an informed Opinion on sport climbing, wouldn’t you at least need to have been on one at least once in your life? It’s not really that much of a task. It seems like there are rules like this in pretty much all the styles of climbing, Except on the internet.

I heard it starts at 14C

Where'd you get that 12C bullshit? 

Marcus · · Aspen, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 395
Senior Hernandez wrote:

Congratulations on your 3/10 troll. It was a valiant attempt to demonstrate what someone would sound like if they thought their opinion was gospel simply due to the grades they've ticked. A little rough around the edges, but with some more effort you'll do well baiting people with this parody.

Tim Lutz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5
Beean wrote:

I heard it starts at 14C

12c is about v5.  most people would consider a v5 boudlerer to be competent enough to warrant having an opinon worth listening to

5.10 is about V0, 10d about V1, these are considered 'beginners'

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 420

4/10 Troll.

Extra points for getting the sweet OLH to bite.

Everyone is equally entitled to their opinion, its the job of the reader to assign value to the post.

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Beean wrote:

I heard it starts at 14C

Sport climbing started when trad climbing of the same grade got pretty hard/serious (for the era, though even today 5.13 or harder trad lines are fairly uncommon). It wasn't 14c as there are few trad lines even that hard today, but it sure wasn't 5.10. 

Whether it bruises your ego or not, 12c is pretty much in the ball park.

reboot wrote:

Sport climbing started when trad climbing of the same grade got pretty hard/serious (for the era, though even today 5.13 or harder trad lines are fairly uncommon). It wasn't 14c as there are few trad lines even that hard today, but it sure wasn't 5.10. 

Whether it bruises your ego or not, 12c is pretty much in the ball park.

lol its not a case of bruising anyone's ego as much as inflating yours. :P

There is not a bit of difference between a quality 5.10 sport climb and a 5.12c other than the size of the holds. 

To increase grade further, simply tilt wall. All the techniques are identical. C'mon man, you know this.

King Tut wrote:

There is not a bit of difference between a quality 5.10 sport climb and a 5.12c other than the size of the holds. 

To increase grade further, simply tilt wall. All the techniques are identical.

That's hilarious. The diversity of techniques in modern sport climbing and especially bouldering are far far greater than crack climbing. If you think they are all identical, I don't know what to say to you.

Safely bolted climbs can be enjoyed at any grade, but historically, the pursue of pure difficulty which brought about sport climbing did NOT start at a lower grade.

Or take the Japanese Dankyu grading system for bouldering, where Shodan (1st degree black belt) is around V7/8. In martial arts term, reaching the Shodan level is when you are considered a serious practitioner of the art (not a master of the art as many westerners would think, but you are no longer just dabbling). 

Edited to add:

As a martial arts practitioner, I don't really like comparing grading of martial arts and climbing: much of martial arts grading is based on mastery of technique, whereas climbing grade does not discern between that and brute strength.

reboot, re-read what I wrote:

"There is not a bit of difference between a quality 5.10 sport climb and a 5.12c other than the size of the holds..."

There is nothing in there about crack climbing.

And the first "sport routes" were climbs with fixed pro up them (numerous examples all over the world of crack and face climbs like this). Then the Euros just translated that to blanker limestone etc etc.

Probably the only unique invention that can be attributed to "sport climbing" is hanging on the gear to learn the moves which wasn't thought of on most harder routes as an alternative at the leading edge. 

But people were hanging all over stuff for decades prior, just not as proudly lol.

King Tut wrote:

reboot, re-read what I wrote:

"There is not a bit of difference between a quality 5.10 sport climb and a 5.12c other than the size of the holds..."

That is also patently false. And changing the angle very much changes the optimal technique, even with the same holds. 

Probably the only unique invention that can be attributed to "sport climbing" is hanging on the gear to learn the moves.

That how one gets better. If that's the only thing, well, it's still a pretty big fucking deal.

lol.

no.

Sport Climbing is not and never will be a "big fucking deal" unless you are a gear maker/gym owner trying to make a living.

Its safe fun. No more, no less.

King Tut wrote:

Its safe fun. No more, no less.

No disrespect to Hank, but sounds like you should take up base jumping instead.

Sum Yung Guy Strong Fingers (seen a million come and go) can't take the ego hit and learn.

Carry on.

King Tut wrote:

can't take the ego hit and learn.

I've played your game and got bored. You can't seem to play mine. So whose ego took a hit?

reboot wrote:

I've played your game and got bored. You can't seem to play mine. So whose ego took a hit?

lol. yea.

lol.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply