Mountain Project Logo

Climbing VS. other sports/activities

Original Post
Senior Hernandez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 15

Is climbing the only sport/sctivity where the less you know,  and the less effort you put in, the louder your opinion is?  Are there other other sports/activities where people promote their incompentence and wear it as a badge of honor? Is this only in the USA or is the climbing trend similar all over the world? Most of my other sports activites from ski racing to surfing to skate boarding seem to be the opposite. In all these other activities there is a definite nod to those who are more proficient, allowing those who have dedicated enoromous amounts of time and effort to dictate the course of the sport. In climbing this seems to be a point of resentment, which is often summed up with the ridiculous quote about having the most fun and blah blah. Does this lack of defined heirarcy undercut us as a user group? Does this nhilism divide our tribe by pitting clmiber agaisnt climber and making it easier for other groups to magrinilize us and our access to the precious resouse of rock?  Local ethics aside, clmibers often seem to be their own worst enemies, is there any solution to this madness? -

Marcus · · Aspen, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 395

We're sorry, the forum you're trying to reach is currently busy. Please try back later once you've had some time to relax.

Jon Frisby · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 100

Climbing is for the most part less competitive and therefore requires less of a pissing match to show who's the best. Obvious exceptions to both parts of this statement

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 85

I feel like these complaints are largely due to mountain project. No one cares what idiots think irl.

kendallt · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 66

HI, I'M INTERNET CLIMBER. EVERYTHING YOU SAID IS WRONG. YOU SUCK. MY IDEAS ARE BETTER.

I don't know why route developers and others who dedicate their time to perfecting the sport (rather than the blowhards online) wouldn't have more respected opinions? It seems to me that they do.

IcePick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 100

Yup.  We’re all A-holes who don’t respect each other...

place yer bets.

I bet 7 pages on this one

Chris Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 50

Strength training is every bit as crazy as climbing as to know nothings expsousing nonsense constantly.  A weekend "certification" and you too can be a "personal trainer" coaching other people - for money.

Actually there IS a solution,  Don’t visit the forums.

Victor K · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 165

Climbers have been talking smack forever. Just read about Harding vs. Robbins. The internet just makes it more efficient.

David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 6

Hello, at least in climbing the people with opinions at least participate in the sport.  You take so many others, e.g. football, hockey, baseball, and you have thousands of people who don't even do the sport and still have strong opinions about what professionals in the sport are doing wrong.  And don't mind being vocal about it.

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 85
David Gibbs wrote:

Hello, at least in climbing the people with opinions at least participate in the sport.  You take so many others, e.g. football, hockey, baseball, and you have thousands of people who don't even do the sport and still have strong opinions about what professionals in the sport are doing wrong.  And don't mind being vocal about it.

good point

Josh Gates · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0
David Gibbs wrote:

Yeah, the idea of thinking that this sort of thing is unique to climbing kinda baffles me. After years and years of refereeing soccer, it is really clear to me that there's no cognitive dissonance from most people in the act of yelling 'read the rule book!' at a referee, even if the yeller has never even been in the same room as a copy of the laws of the game. Sp... not at all surprising that folks would do that in any endeavor.

jg

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 290
Senior Hernandez wrote:

Is climbing the only sport/sctivity where the less you know,  and the less effort you put in, the louder your opinion is?  Are there other other sports/activities where people promote their incompentence and wear it as a badge of honor? Is this only in the USA or is the climbing trend similar all over the world? Most of my other sports activites from ski racing to surfing to skate boarding seem to be the opposite. In all these other activities there is a definite nod to those who are more proficient, allowing those who have dedicated enoromous amounts of time and effort to dictate the course of the sport. In climbing this seems to be a point of resentment, which is often summed up with the ridiculous quote about having the most fun and blah blah. Does this lack of defined heirarcy undercut us as a user group? Does this nhilism divide our tribe by pitting clmiber agaisnt climber and making it easier for other groups to magrinilize us and our access to the precious resouse of rock?  Local ethics aside, clmibers often seem to be their own worst enemies, is there any solution to this madness? -

Can spelling bees be considered a sport? Or just an sctivity?

;-P

Kat M · · San Diego, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 15

Can spelling bees be considered a sport? Or just an sctivity?

Someone call the fire department, 'cause you just got BUUURRRNNNNEEDD

Kyle Taylor · · Atlanta Ga · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I'm an ex professional cyclist. I can speak volumes of Cat 5 heros. The road racing scene is full of egos. Mostly from amateurs who become the big fish in their small pond(I'm guilty of this). In the world of cycling, it's about sucking the life out of your opponents, it's moving chess. True, that's why it's fun but it also makes for interesting people watching at local races. I found competitive cycling to be more inclined to attract those with type A personalities, a large reason I was a shit pro at best. Plus I liked mountain biking way too much. 

Aging has a way of humbling you and rooting you to what you love and feeding energy into what thrives your attention. I'm very happy to of found climbing.

The climbing community is great thus far imo. I may allude indoor gyms are the roadies and outdoor climbers are the mountain bikers?!

Daniel T · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35
Kyle Taylor wrote:

I'm an ex professional cyclist. I can speak volumes of Cat 5 heros. The road racing scene is full of egos. Mostly from amateurs who become the big fish in their small pond(I'm guilty of this). In the world of cycling, it's about sucking the life out of your opponents, it's moving chess. True, that's why it's fun but it also makes for interesting people watching at local races. I found competitive cycling to be more inclined to attract those with type A personalities, a large reason I was a shit pro at best. Plus I liked mountain biking way too much. 

Aging has a way of humbling you and rooting you to what you love and feeding energy into what thrives your attention. I'm very happy to of found climbing.

The climbing community is great thus far imo. I may allude indoor gyms are the roadies and outdoor climbers are the mountain bikers?!

Damn you beat me to it to call out the cycling community.  On a similar note the Triathlon scene is pretty intense as well.

Jack Quarless · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 0

Yea it seems like many sports are rife with incompetents with large opinions, but there is something to be said about how our little fights do endanger access to crags. I mean, football fans have big opinions but rules are generally decided at the highest levels and then work there way downword to the beginners. In contrast, how many times have fights over bolting ethics ultimately limited access? It does seem like climbers want to limit other climbers freedoms quite frequently. Do mountain bikers shut down trails because of ethics? Seems possible but not likely. When I lived in Europe these ethical arguments seemed like less of an issue and there were many more personal freedoms.

Beean · · Canmore, AB · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

I've been climbing a few times but what's up with the EDK why do people still use it if it's so unsafe?

Beean wrote:

I've been climbing a few times but what's up with the EDK why do people still use it if it's so unsafe?

Ok mister.  Hold it right there.  

You are in direct violation of thread drifting

Josh Cameron · · Sacramento, California · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,175

From my experience climbers, in general, tend to be more educated than other sports I've dabbled in. More educated people, in general, tend to have stronger opinions, therefore they tend to have larger egos and higher levels of self-confidence. Ipso facto, climbers tend to always think they are right, regardless of who they are.

Another piece of my two cents (that makes four cents, ha!) is that the best climber and the climber who knows the most isn't necessarily the climber who climbs hardest or puts up the most routes. That type of thinking is called equivalency.

But who the hell am I but a lowly 5.10 climber, so does that mean my opinion should be disregarded?

LCC kid · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5
 Do mountain bikers shut down trails because of ethics? 

Mountain bikers are usually just rude to other trail users, who then complain and get the trails closed to bikes. At least climbers have some small sense of stewardship, even if we do fight with each other a lot.

Source: Am a mountain biker

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply