For next few days, REI will DOUBLE your gift to the Access Fund - up to $65,000. Donate Now!
Mountain Project Logo

LOST: Draws at Pilot Mountain

Original Post
Will Maness · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 26

My buddy and I were out climbing at Pilot on Monday and we left two alpine draws (yellow BD dyneema shoulder-length slings and silver biners with blue tape) in the chains of the anchor at Any Major Dude in the Three Bears area.  There were a couple other parties out there, so perhaps they picked them up.  Otherwise, they are still there and I would really like to have them back!  If you find them, if you could turn them into the park office that would be incredible!  Either way, contact me at nine one nine three five six zero four nine four.  Thanks!

Brad Caldwell · · Deep in the Jocassee Gorges · Joined May 2010 · Points: 1,285

Just curious...why did you leave them? 

Just forgot them. Needed to lower off them to clean the route...nothing but chains up there, didn’t want to lower through those. Rapping wasn’t an option because it’s an overhanging route. Meant to just grab them on the way out (easily accessible anchor on top), but we forgot.

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 350

You can clean an overhanging route on rap by fixing one end and rapping the other while tramming to each bolt. 

Duly noted, thanks for the advice.  But I'm still very keen to get my draws back in the meantime! :)

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Will Maness wrote:

Needed to lower off them to clean the route...nothing but chains up there, didn’t want to lower through those.

I'm curious as to why.

Seth Monteleone · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 46
Marc801 C wrote:

I'm curious as to why.

The chains are probably rusted to hell and he was worried about chewing up his rope, also the rock rubs the rope under the anchor. But still you can access from the top so just set an TR anchor like normal.

This is right under the anchor.

^Correct.  Thanks, Seth!

Bump for broke dude.

Andrew AJ Jackson · · Greensboro · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1

Will Maness, any chance you found a pair of la Sportiva muira's in the little amphitheater?  I accidentally left a pair there the day before you were there. Size 42. They would have been at the base of Eroctica.

Sorry Andrew, I didn't see any!  Good luck finding them!

Andrew AJ Jackson · · Greensboro · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1

Thanks, good luck to you too

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Where is this place where gear is left abandoned everywhere?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "LOST: Draws at Pilot Mountain"
in the Southern States